gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry

Working on a 1992 Pace Arrow RV with 454 Chevy. Getting Air

Customer Question

Working on a 1992 Pace Arrow RV with 454 Chevy. Getting Air into Power Steering Pump. Changed Pump and Hydraulic Brake Assist, Still can not clear air from system. Do you have any ideals???

Regards,

Mark R. Sutherland XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
XXX-XXX-XXXX Cell
Category: RV
Expert:  Kevin Bourcier replied 4 years ago.
Have you done a " Complete " change out of the fluid in the complete system ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I have changed out fluid with Dextron 2 when the pump and boster were changed. Have driven for several miles, jacked up front end with engine idling turning steering wheel from lock to lock. Fluid still has air in it, pump is whinning when steering wheel is turned. Pump over flows oil out of filler when driven for several miles.
Okay . Thanks . When you say changed out do you mean " Flushed " ( Absolutely no old fluid )
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No changed out means replaced by another here in the US. Both components were replaced and new fluid was installed after complete flushing of system.
Okay . How much running do you have on the M/Home since performing the repairs ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We have driven it for about 30 miles since repairs. However if you count the number of hours the engine has ran since the repairs trying to clear the air I would say 12 to 14 hours over 2 weeks.
Okay . As you probably know the system should clear out ( bleed ) the air on it's own . I have only ever once ( years ago ) had to manually " purge/bleed " a dual system . What you can do is with the engine running crack the pressure line fitting at the steering box and then at the hydra-boost units being careful not to let pump reservoir run dry . Try driving again after this to finish trying to purge the remaining air from the steering box and the hydra-boost .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
WTF
What is WTF ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
WTF means WHAT THE f**k!!!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Now you know WTF!!!!
Expert:  Joe replied 4 years ago.
Hello , my name is Joel

I have a suggestion for you ,

Your chassis may have the hydraulic park brake release system - in which case there is an air bleed port on the top side of the hydraulic park-brake actuator.
If the system had been drained or was low on fluid then air may be trapped in the actuator cylinder or another part of the park brake system.

Click here for a couple of drawings of the system.

-Joel
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will try this. I will let you know if this cures the problem.

Mark R. Sutherland