Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I have a 1997 5th wheel jayco roof leaked need..rubber..trailer..beams

I have a 1997 5th wheel jayco roof leaked need to replace plywood under rubber roof on the back two feet also going to replace the roofing on all of the trailer . Need to know what plywood to use and how it is hooked to the roof beams
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 7 years ago.
Hi: Thanks for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this. Of course I can't see your roof from here but make sure you really need to do the whole roof. Is the rubber that bad? You can just replace one section. I have done that many times and it makes a good repair. You can buy a whole piece of new EPDM roofing and if you give me the length of the roof I can tell you about what that will cost. It sounds like you want to do this yourself. That will save you a ton of money......probably around $3,000 or more! As to the plywood.......most of these are made with OSB underlayment. It is not expensive and very strong until it gets wet. Then it turns to shredded wheat! Most of the contacts with the joists are stapled with an air stapler and the seams are screwed down with deck screws. If you are going to do the whole roof, I would replace all the trim with new and get new roof vents. You will soon see that trying to get the old sealer off these parts is a huge job. If you need more specifics, please let me know. If you found this information helpful, I would appreciate you hitting the "ACCEPT" tab so I get credit for assisting you. All the best, R.J.