How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask R & K RV Your Own Question
R & K RV
R & K RV, RV Mechanic
Category: RV
Satisfied Customers: 194
Experience:  Many years of experience on all types of RV repair. Specializing in electrical and generation.
Type Your RV Question Here...
R & K RV is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I substitute ATF for 32 grade hydraulic oil in my HWH leveling

Resolved Question:

Can I substitute ATF for 32 grade hydraulic oil in my HWH leveling jacks?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  R & K RV replied 7 years ago.
This is what HWH has to say about your question:
HWH Specialty Hydraulic Oil is recommended. In an emergency Dexron automatic transmission fluid can be used. NOTE: Dexron automatic transmission fluid contains red dye and can cause staining should a leak occur.
DO NOT USE brake fluid or hydraulic jack fluid. Use of these can damage seals.

If you have any concerns, you can call HWH at(NNN) NNN-NNNN They are very good to speak with on any issues regarding these systems.
Dexron III Mercon has nearly the same viscosity (34) as the 32 SAE hydraulic oil. There are other grades of Dexron out there (such as the newer Dexron VI), but it has a much lower viscosity. If you are mixing, I would definately stay as close as possible to the same viscosity.
Let me know if this helps.
Thank you,

R & K RV and 4 other RV Specialists are ready to help you