Joe
Joe, RV Technician
Experience:  Associates Degree in Automotive Technology , 18+ years as RV and Commercial Bus Technician
20245751

88 CHEVY: FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR..BEEN DISCONTINUED FROM GM DO U KNOW

Customer Question

I HAVE A 88 CHEVY CHASSIS.MY FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR IS LEAKING.THE PART HAS BEEN DISCONTINUED FROM GM DO U KNOW OF A DIRECT REPLACEMENT OR WHAT IS MY SOLUTION.P-30 WINABAGO
Category: RV
Expert:  Joe replied 4 years ago.
Hello , my name is Joel

I have read your post , and will do my best to help.

I have never been able to find a direct replacement for the original regulator (part # XXXXX) , but there are many aftermarket regulators available that will work - once the lines and fittings have been adapted.

Another option would be to disconnect the wires from the in-tank booster pump , and install a low pressure electric pump in place of the regulator. Use a "pulse" type aftermarket pump such as Facet that delivers about 5 psi.

3-5 psi of fuel pressure to the mechanical pump would be good. The Quadrajet carburetor will work best with about 3-5 psi at the inlet.

I hope this answers your question.

Please let me know if you still have any concerns on this issue.
Thank you
-Joel
Joe, RV Technician
Experience: Associates Degree in Automotive Technology , 18+ years as RV and Commercial Bus Technician
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
joel while im at it what psi should the boosterpump put out. and if i install the inline one do i wire it to the same wires that fed the booster pump originally.
Expert:  Joe replied 4 years ago.
Ok , that is a good question.

I am not sure how much pressure an unregulated in-tank booster pump will produce , but I suspect it is well above 4-5 psi. Probably more like 12-15 psi max. Being that it is unregulated , it will also vary slightly with load , voltage , temperature etc.........Fuel pressures above 6 psi at the carburetor can cause the engine to flood.

If the in-tank booster pump is working properly , then you should be able to use the same wires. The original booster pump electrical circuit uses a relay , and an oil pressure switch that shuts off the electric pump in case of an accident.

Thank you,

-Joel
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
JOEL IM PURCHASEING A HOLLY REG PART #1135 IT LOOKS LIKE THE EXACT PART ILL LET U KNOW HOW IT WORKS OUT THANKS THANKS PAUL FROM CALI
Expert:  Joe replied 4 years ago.
Sounds good , I hope it is an easy swap !
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

JOEL I JUST RECIEVED THE REGULATOR HOLLY#1135-1 TO 4 IT IS AN EXACT REPLACEMENT FOR MY COACH PASS IT ON.ALSO JUST THE DIAPHRAM CAN ALSO BE PURCHASED WHICH MAKES IT A CHEEP AND EASY FIX

Expert:  Joe replied 4 years ago.
Great news !

Thanks for the information !

-Joel