Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

Can I connect an external 5 lb propane tank to my Class A coach

Customer Question

Can I connect an external 5 lb propane tank to my Class A coach safely? Either by disconnecting the exsiting fixed tank or using a tee? Can you give details on how to do it? I am planning on making a trip into a very cold climate and want to be able to use a portable tank if I run out of propane and am snowed in!
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 7 years ago.

Hi There!!!

Thanks for Choosing Just Answer....

You should be able to accomplish this, I beleive THIS will do the trick. I would also get a bottle of leak check and spray the fittings after hooking up the external tank, this will tell you if you have a leak.... Places like camping world also might carry this kit. I also found you a video that explains the install, click HERE to view that..... Try to stay warm on your trip.... Robert

Thank You!!! Please hit ACCEPT for my efforts, positive feedback and BONUS welcomed!!!

Edited by RV help for u on 12/4/2009 at 8:17 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you. I had seen this kit before. The need for the extra tank is really a one time occurrence. So, I was thinking of just connecting my 5 lb cylinder to the cast iron main pipe "next" to my fixed tank. But I didn't know if it should be connected after the fixed regulator (at the exisitng propane tank) or before? If I use a hose from the portable cylinder with a low pressure regulator, can I bypass the regulator on the fixed tank?

My lake of knowledge is in where I can connect into.

Expert:  Robert replied 7 years ago.

OK

I am really sensitive to the LP items. I was at the Monaco plant years ago when a worker used a mikta drill on a tank and the plant went up in flames. I strongly urge you to use the extend a stay, Safety is paramount. The extend a stay has been engineered to operate safely with the existing LP plumbing and equipment. Easy to hook up and use no questions asked. IF you don't use the kit return it. I would hate for something to happen and to be 100% safe I would pay the money even for one time and use the kit... also it would allow you to hook up a portable grill for them summer nights....

Thanks, Robert