OnanMan
OnanMan, Generator Tech
Experience:  14 years in the Cummins/Onan distributor network, Level 3 certified in RV, Marine and industrial fie

how to hook up a 50amp/120volt outlet for a rv in your hom

how to hook up a 50amp/120volt outlet for a rv in your home
Category: RV
Expert:  OnanMan replied 4 years ago.
Hi I am Don, are you trying to set up an outlet in your home so that you can plug in your RV to keep tha batteries charged and to plug in and live in it if you need to?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
Expert:  OnanMan replied 4 years ago.
Ok this is a feat of electrician proportians...If you have a 15 amp outlet close to where you plan on parking the coach, you will need to upgrade the outlet and the wiring to the existing outlet. Also you will need a 50 amp circuit breaker to be dedicated to that outlet only, and the breaker will need to fit into your existing breaker panel...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i do have that updated the wiring and the outlet the problem is that i have on green ground wire one white neutral and two black power wires hooked up to the outlet. when i take a tester to the prongs i get 220volts?
Expert:  OnanMan replied 4 years ago.
I see, now the fog clears..HaHa....Is the gen 229 line to line also?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
got me there,only know that the dealer was out of his mind that the outlet be 50amp and 120volt
Expert:  OnanMan replied 4 years ago.
Ok, last question before the answer, is there anything in the coach that uses 220?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
well dont think so but it does have two air conditoners ? hope that helps
Expert:  OnanMan replied 4 years ago.
Ok I think you will be ok, you do need to know that you are putting 220 into the coach which is ok because it is split into 2 110V circuits. Whereas the gen takes 110V and splitting it into 2 110V circuits which will allow less amperage..I can only go by what you tell me though..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks don, but is there another way to wire this thing or different outlet or? i just keep hearing him warn of the damages it can cause.
Expert:  OnanMan replied 4 years ago.
Have you tried it yet? I think you will be fine but I understand you apprehension..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no, the coach is still at dealers, am i correct in your answer about the 220 being split in the coach and how or where is this done ?
Expert:  OnanMan replied 4 years ago.
Ok, the gen can be 110V and split at the gen for 2 circuits of 110V= less amperage. IF there is no 220V in the coach and you send in 220V (which is actually 2 110V circuits) then you will be fine. This is a most common set-up...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
cross your fingers for me !
Expert:  OnanMan replied 4 years ago.
HaHa, I am sure you will be OK. It really doesn't matter if the coach is 110V and you send in 220V as long as everything is split. Let me say this, if you got the coach from a dealer and it is set-up to take 110V OR 220V then YES! Put in a 220V at the house and don't worry.....maybe that should have been my first question?
OnanMan, Generator Tech
Experience: 14 years in the Cummins/Onan distributor network, Level 3 certified in RV, Marine and industrial fie