R.V.'S ONLY
R.V.'S ONLY, RV Mechanic
Experience:  10 YRS MASTER CERTIFIED RV TECH, MANY MORE CERTIFIED
14713161

nneed to find a wiring schematic for 1987 coachman.26ft

n

need to find a wiring schematic for 1987 coachman.26ft 454 engine class A.right now I have a dead short.Where can I get one?
Category: RV
Expert:  R.V.'S ONLY replied 4 years ago.

Hi there Bluedog,

There are no wiring schematics per say for a coachman motorhome, whatever wiring problems your experiencing will have to be traced. What kind of short are you experiencing, what is not working?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
With all three battaries fully charged,two in the coach and one in the engine comp.No generator running,No electrical service connected.The large red wire in the power center or converter iis the problem.Battaries run down over night from fully charged status.I pulled the fuse in the power center and battaries did not discharge overnight.The large red wire goes in a wall or under the coach and I cant follow it any farther.I am 76 and on oxygen and need some help on this one.No hurry tho!I am not going anywhere soon.
Hi again a couple of things to test. First of all I assume you have a magnatek power center with the converter built in? If so let me know what model. In the mean time with everything conected but turned off. I would pull the fuses in the power center and reinstall them one at a time, watch for a spark to see where the draw is. That may leadus to the problem. Talk To You Soon,Jeff
R.V.'S ONLY, RV Mechanic
Experience: 10 YRS MASTER CERTIFIED RV TECH, MANY MORE CERTIFIED
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I dont have fuses. I have four breakers. I have one main fuse in the power center.Power center is b-w manufactures inc.Series6300A
ok is it posable to disconnect the wires from the four breakers to help narrow down the problem?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There is no breaker on the red wire and it is a little larger tnat the ones on the breakers.If I loosen the screw on the red wire and take it loose ,it isolates the problem. The same thing happens if I take out the main fuse on the power center.I cant get to any wires that you say go to the four breakers but I tried just turning them off with the breaker and it didnt make any difference,still had the problem.The red wire is bound to go up inside a wall or in the roof,at any rate I cant follow it and I think it is the one with the short in it.Let me knoe what you think.
Is the wire your speaking of bringing power in from the batteries or distributing power out to the fixtures? If that is the one with the short or the breaker/fuse that your talking about ,when you disconnect it does it shut off all power or only certain things go off?