R & K RV
R & K RV, RV Mechanic
Experience:  Many years of experience on all types of RV repair. Specializing in electrical and generation.
12748923

On a 2008 Fleetwood revolution LE 42K the big full slide does

Customer Question

On a 2008 Fleetwood revolution LE 42K the big full slide does not come out or go back. No power at the switch.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 5 years ago.
Hi: Thanks for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I believe I may be able to assist you with this, but first, do you have a VOM and know how to use it to test for DC voltage? Get back to me and we will go from there. All the best, R.J.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I do Randall. Thanks for answering.
I checked the panel and got 13 volt at the fleetwood slide out extension switch. The switch and key forward the 13 volt to the connector going out again into the harness.
It is the huge slide with the 2 locks on top.
The other 2 slides work fine, the big one retracted the 2 locks and stopped.
I had one similar issue, when the locks did not move into the locked position.
It was a reset of the system or reprogramming which did fix that problem.
My phone is(NNN) NNN-NNNNor if I can call you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Any answer? We are stuck on a camping ground
Expert:  Randall replied 5 years ago.
Hi: Sorry for the delay as I was at my son's birthday party. I will have to say this is a system I am not familiar with. Do you have the literature that came with the coach? Many times it gives that information or you can go online to their website and get the reset information. Any mobile techs in your area that might be able to help? I will leave this in "Need info" so other techs may weigh in on it. I will also ask another of the techs to respond if he is available as I think he may be familiar with this system. Sorry I couldn't have been of more help. Does this have a manual retract system so you can more it in and move the coach? Just trying to touch as many bases as I can think of. All the best, R.J.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the answer, sorry to intrude at the B-Day Party.
I found a field reset button at the Power Gear relays, but it does not do anything,
It is the 2008 Fleetwood Revolution 42K with the huge full slide on the driver side. I think it has 3 motors, but is way to heavy to move by hand.
I looked at the manuals (very little to no information) and also at the web sites with no help.
SO if you have a contact who knows about this, that would be very helpful.
Thank you.
Expert:  Randall replied 5 years ago.
I thought it may be a Power Gear system and they have had quite a few problems with their relay boards. I just haven't seen this particular one. I did e-mail a tech that should be familiar with this, but I'm not sure if he is online rightnow. Same time zone. At his hour, probably nobody to take your call at Power Gear. Sounds like you may want to keep a few spare parts around for this. Hang in there and see if someone weighs in on this! All the best, R.J.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Randall, Yes, as I said before, I found the relay box P/N(NNN) NNN-NNNNand it has 2 red buttons FIELD RESET OUT IN which I pushed for 2 seconds simitaneous.
Don't know what to do else, so if your friendly tech would contact em, that would be awesome.
Expert:  Randall replied 5 years ago.
I do hope you hear from him or someone else. There are several who are really good on some of the newer systems found on thise large diesel pushers. I live in a small town in Northern California and don't see many of these as they go to the dealerships usually. I will make a note to contact Power Gear on Monday and get the info for this system faxed to me! Again, I apologize for not having the information you need. I do thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. All the best, R.J.
Expert:  R & K RV replied 5 years ago.

Randall ask me for some assistance on this one.These q-syncs are a bear. You can spend all day and find that one of the reed switches is stuck. You can manually retract the slide by putting the motors in bypass but it will take four men and a mule to do.

Here are a few things to look at.

You probably have looked at all of the links but I included them just in case.

Motors will not run. Check all connections.

Check fuse (F1-F2-F3-F4.) Not likely as these are fuses for each motor

Check that harnesses are connected to proper plug.

Magnetic reed switch for room locks is faulty (stuck closed,) bypassed, or magentized. Highly likely

Room locks are not disengaging,

caused by magnetic switch problem (open) or

faulty room lock.

Fuse blown (Fleetwood circuit #329.) Possibly

The 12 volts at the switch comes from the controller. My guess would be one of the interlock switches have it held out.

Install/Service

FullWall

Troubleshooting

Let me know how this works out and I will try to assist you further.

Good luck, Ronnie

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the reply Ronnie.
I tried the motor unlock and used a wrench to try to turn the axle but gave up, because it is way too tight to turn.
I am afraid that I will brake something and are stuck with a slide out.

All 4 fuses are good.

Maybe it will help to tell how it started.

Pulling on a fairly leveled camping spot I dumped the air and run the power gear leveling and popped the kittchen and bedroom. When I started to pop the full wall, the power locks started to retreat the arm and went into the open position. Normally than the slide motor engage and the slide starts to move out. But they did not. Nor do the power lock arms come back when I turn the switch to retreat.

That (but with still the slide moving in and out) happened before the the tech was able to reprogram it.

I took off the switch in the inside of the RV and got 13.4 volts coming in and out when pressed the switch.
We also hear the relay in the back close by the main power gear slide controll working click sounds when the switch is pressed but that click sound comes from the box HWH Corporation LEVELEZE Mod AP40185 S.N> 1203 above the slide control.
Are slide controll and level control working together?

We tried to retreat the level system, moved the coach a little and leveled out again, but still, to no avail.
Sorry for the slow reply, our internet is not fast here.
Expert:  Randall replied 5 years ago.
Good morning...I see Ronnie has responded. I asked him to give you a hand with this as I was pretty sure he more expertise with this system and it looks like he has given you some areas to check. If all else fails, I think you can get help tomorrow from online tech services. Sounds like these can be a real challenge and may have a few bugs to work out. All the best, R.J.
Expert:  R & K RV replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

There are several interlocks that will hold you out. The engine needs to be running with the parking brake engaged. Allow plenty of time for the controller to verify when pressing the switch. The relationship between the levelers and the slide is just an interlock that will not allow slide movement unless the levelers are down. The relay that you hear should not click with the levelers up. The arm lock lights will need to be on.

Now the bad news:

I see that you pressed the field reset button, that will have erased the settings. You will need a programmer to teach the controller what to do. Same applies when you manually retract the slide. Are you near a dealer that can help? This system should still be under warranty.

Manual retraction taked 3 guys with three 3/4" sockets and ratchets simultaniously turning and extra people pushing.

These things are great when they work but are a nightmare when they don't.

Where are you located? I can maybe assist in finding you some help. I am afraid that there is nothing that you can do without the programmer.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Ronnie

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the answer,
Maybe there was something wrong form the beginning, because we never had the engine to be running, matter of fact, the other 2 slides still work, just with the parking brake on and using no engine.
Could it be that this might have the control unit messed up?

Manual retrieving is no option. Beside that I cannot see the 3rd motor, the construction/placement of the axle/nut is done in a way, you will not be able to wrench anything with torque.
I might be a little rust, but worked as a car mechanic for 14 years, and looking at this system I am :
Great idea about the manual retracting, but who build that RV around this and buried all access?

I guess that's it and I have to live with this till Monday night when leaving.
It is one year old and under warranty. I will bring it to XXXXX XXXXX RV to have them check it.
Anything I shall tell them to get it done right and point them to the rightdirections?

Is it possible to split the accept fee between you and Randall? I appreciate your help, although it did not solve the issue, but I understand there is nothing to be done now and you guys certainly tried. Thank you so much.
Expert:  R & K RV replied 5 years ago.

The reason that the motor should run is to keep the voltage up there high enough to operate the system when the motors are pulling a load. The engine alternator helps with this. If not running, the voltage could drop low enough to lock out the controller or worse, dump the memory.

The controller should have a connector for four motors. If you have three, the first three will be used. If there are only two, the first two will be used and so on.

I am not sure how to split the fee. If you want to accept from me, I will send Randall half through PayPal.

I am sorry that we couldn't get you going. It is one of those things that requires specialized tools to fix. You being a mechanic know what that means.

Thank you and good luck,

Ronnie

R & K RV, RV Mechanic
Experience: Many years of experience on all types of RV repair. Specializing in electrical and generation.
Expert:  Randall replied 5 years ago.
Hi, again....and thanks for wanting to split the fee with Ronnie. I told him it wasn't necessary as I got some good tips about this system from this. Nice touch on your part and perhaps I can give you a hand again some day. I am moving to Florida in a few weeks around Orlando and I will surely see some of these systems out there! Hope you get this resolved in the morning and can be on your way again!
All the best, R.J.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you both again.
I went to the local dealer today and he was able to reprogram and it works now.
As Ronnie mentioned he also thinks that it was a low voltage issue.
I surely now will never use them without running the engine and the generator both together.
Although the batteries were full when we arrived (drove 3 hours) I think that the voltage drop with the 4 motors pulling was too much.
Manual movement of the slides is impossible since only 2 motors of the 4 are accessible.
Maybe a buffer or a sequence of load pull from the manufacturer would help, but surely a better information when we bought the coach or better instructions would have helped.
Better said, any instruction would have helped.
Fleetwood manual is a non specific one. Basically written for any Revolution. No diagram were fuses are, no wire diagram, basically nothing what you need when in trouble is supplied.
If you have a source were to get these, that would help too.

Again, thanks for your help and I am sure you could have reset the system as well if local.
Expert:  Randall replied 5 years ago.
Glad you were able to get it fixed. And yes, those take lots of juice to operate and I would always have a genset going or the shore cord. It won't take both at once. Be sure and keep the batteries right up to snuff on water and clean terminals. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX coming to Just Answer and it was educational for me as well! All the best, R.J.