Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets
Experience:  RV tech since the beginning of the millenium.

I have a 1995 Jayco Sportster 7 pop-up camper and when I plug

I have a 1995 Jayco Sportster 7' pop-up camper and when I plug in the electric cord, I have power to my outlets, but all of the lights in the camper will not turn on, could you please help me determine what is wrong.

Thanl you,

Byron Nelson
e-mail nelhekk@att,net
phone XXX-XXX-XXXX
Category: RV
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 years ago.

If the lights work off the battery, it is not a blown fuse. Either the circuit breaker is tripped to the power converter, or the converter is bad.

The breakers are most often located in/under one of the bench seats of the dinette (this is also where the fuses are).

First check for a tripped circuit breaker. If it is OK, use a test light or voltmeter to test for output from the converter. To do this, disconnect the battery. Clip the ground of he test light or the black lead of a voltmeter to the metal part of the box. Probe the cable post with the light or red lead of your voltmeter. If no voltage is present, the converter is bad.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If it was a blown fuse or a bad converter or the circuit breaker had tripped why would the outlet work o.k..?
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 years ago.
The outlet is 120VAC. The lights work off 12VDC. There is sometimes a separate breaker for the converter than the outlets.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Does that also mean that the refrigerator work only on Propane and not on electric, because with the electric cord in and either the 12v or the 120v it does not get cold? Also when the 120v is on the cylinder where the pilot light is gets real hot?
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 years ago.

That all depends on the refrigerator - some require 12V to operate, some do not.

The boiler (cylinder) will get hot with 120V if it is turned on. The refrigerator will plug into an outlet and is not hard wired into the camper. If your outlets will work, there is 120 available to the refrigerator.

Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets
Experience: RV tech since the beginning of the millenium.