Nick
Nick, RVIA Certification
Experience:  5 years RV repair and reconstruction, Fleetwood RV Training course completion.
10390867

What size tow hitch and sway bar will I need for a 1998 Fleetwood

What size tow hitch and sway bar will I need for a 1998 Fleetwood Travel Trailer, Wilderness, Model 26H?
Category: RV
Expert:  Nick replied 7 years ago.

what tow vehicle will you be using?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I will be using a Chevy Tahoe, 2000. It has the original tow mechanism square entry place.
Expert:  Nick replied 7 years ago.
ok.. well you should have a class III tow hitch installed, so ok there..
you will also need a weight distribution hitch with a 2 5/16th inch tow ball.
you have the option to either use a weight distribution hitch with sway control built in, or use a seperate sway control... both work well, however, if you opt to use a seperate sway control, although cheaper, you will need to install a special ball plate onto the trailer before you can hook this up. this will require drilling the frame of the trailer and setting up correctly..
equalizer have a good hitch for your application, with sway control built in. you just need to attach hanging brackets on the frame of the trailer, which requires 2 bolts and clamping them on.
the tahoe will need a weight distribution hitch, its rear suspension will not handle the weight without one.

http://www.equalizerhitch.com/ here is their website if you want to find out more...
usually your hitch ball height needs to be about 19"-21" above the ground.. thats from the top of the ball to the ground, on level ground.. so you will need a drop bar receiver to get this correct height, and attach the weight distirbution hitch to.. ideally, you need to get the trailer level, and then measure the height of the hitch. by measuing from the top of the coupler to the ground, this will be the height you need to set the ball at.

Thankyou for your question.. please remember this is the answer page and to click accept if you are satisfied with my answer so i get paid for my efforts.. Please also note, accepting my answer does not terminate our correspondance, you may continue to reply after accepting and i will work with you until the problem is solved.
thankyou and please let me know if you require further assistance.....

:Nick:

Expert:  Nick replied 7 years ago.
you will also need a brake controller, if you dont already have one, so your trailer has brakes...
depending on factory installed options, this may require a 'hard wire' where new wiring needs installing to the rear plug, or it may be prewired, in which case, simply plugs up to existing factory harness... either way, will need a brake controller installed before you try and tow the travel trailer.