Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.

I cant get my water heater to light..full

Customer Question

I can't get my water heater to light up nor the stove. I have a full tank of gas,but it still won't light up I checked valves to make sure every thing is clean. I tried lighting it last week it came on for like about five seconds and i have been trying to light it or the stove but to no avail. Please tell me what to do or is thier something I can do to get it started. Its like you don't have no gas comming through.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 7 years ago.
Hi: Thanks for coming to Just Answer with your question. Perhaps I can be so some assistance, but first, let me ask you a few questions.
What kind of unit is this on? Has it been working until recently? Does any other gas appliance work? How old a unit is this? I will look forward to hearing back from you. All the best, R.J.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Its a suburban water heater model sw6p'6gallon capacity its two and a half years old had it service last year for the same problem and it didn't take the but a few minuts to get it going worked fine one time, next time it doesn't. we went camping on

August 13. It lit up for five seconds went out and I can't get it to light up again.

Expert:  Randall replied 7 years ago.
O.K. The first this is to be sure you have the propane pressure set correctly at the regulator. This takes a manometer. You can take it off and have a shop check it for you. Many gas problems are solved with an adjustment. If that checks out o.k. then you may have a bad thermocouple. This is what keeps the flame on after you light it. You also may have some debris in the air orofice that keeps it from having the right mix of oxygen and propane. This happens when spiders or mud-daubers get into the unit and "camp out" when you aren't using it. The theromcoulple may just not have a good connection. You can loosen it at the gas valve and then try re-tightening it. HAND tighten and then only an 1/8 of a turn. Overtightening can ruin it! You may ask any follow-up questions you feel would be helpful. Let me know what you find out. All the best, R.J.