D. Wood
D. Wood, RV Parts Store Owner
Experience:  Slide Out, Jack & Hitch Specialist
20584645

How is the best way to adjust a manual slide for a coachman

How is the best way to adjust a manual slide for a coachman rv. There is a gap at the top when it is closed but snug at the bottom.

Jim

Hi Jim, Thank you for using JustAnswer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be able to help you with your question. Before I give you an answer I want to confirm that you have the slide out I have in mind.

Is your trailer a Catalina Lite?

The slide out system is attached roghly at the center of the room and has only one arm attached to the bottom of the slide out room. Is that correct?

I'll await your reply.

Sincerely,

Dale Woodward

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Its not a cataline Lite, just the light series about 27 ft. The sofa is in the slide out and has 2 tracks that the slide rest on. It also looks as if the bottom of the slide has been rubbing on the bottom of the trailor toward the front like that edge has dropped down.I was also wondering if the rollers could have slipped down somehow. Also when we close it the top toward the front of the camper seems tight and the bottom also, but the top toward the rear has a gap.

Jim, I'm sorry for the delay, but one last question. Is the slide out system installed underneath the sofe inside the trailer or is it installed on the chassis of your trailer?

Thank You,

Dale Woodward

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Its under the sofa, which a manual crank is turned to move the slide out on 2 gear bars that are mounted on the floor.

Jim

Thank you for the clarification, Jim. Your slide out system was manufactured by either Lippert Components or perhaps by Power Gear. While it's not the RBW system I was originally thinking of, I can still help you out.

Your slide out room is simply a box. Change an angle at the inside or outside and that impacts the way the room will seal because the walls of the room are not contacting the walls of the trailer at the correct angle.

When you say there are two tracks or gear bars, I'm not sure if you mean that there are two arms or only one, so I'll try to cover both.

Single Arm System: The first thing to check is that all bolts or screws attaching the mechanism to the floor and the wall are tight. If any are loose, it's possible the room may have shifted. If so, then you'll need to reposition the mechanism so the room is back in square. The room is relatively light, so it shouldn't be much problem if you do have to shift it.

Double Arm System: Again, inspect all attachment bolts or screws for tightness. Take a look at the rear arm. It's possible the height adjustment bolts have become loose allowing the room to drop down at that end. If so, lift the room up and tighten the attachment bolts. You should be able to see the original location on the bracket at the end of the arm. If that looks ok, then you'll need to adjust the timing between the two arms so the rear arm is further in. There are timing adjustment instructions in the manual linked below.

http://powergearus.com/documents/335.pdf

http://www.lci1.com/OwnersManuals/Slideout/Above%20Floor%20Sofa%20Slide-Web.pdf

The room should be adjusted so the top of the wall of the room touches the wall of the trailer before the bottom does. When cranking, be sure not to attempt to crank beyond the room limits.

Thank you for the opportunity to assist you. I'll be happy to answer any follow up questions, which are no charge when you use the reply button of the original question.

Sincerely,

Dale Woodward

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I thank your for your help but this is not the sit up. Ours is a simple design, the threaded bar has a cross bar the goes to the other gear drive. there a two brackets with slots for adjuments in the front of the set up to adjust the height? Their are not adjustment screws that I have been able to find excpet the stop. Can you tell me if the room needs to be level after it is extend out or have a litle tilt. I will be releasing the payment to you and again I thank you for you time and effort.

Jim

Jim, I'm sorry I couldn't be exact with the manuals for your unit. I have another link for you that may be a closer match to what you have installed.

Your room should be as close to level as possible. The walls of the room are constructed so that there is a slight taper at the top. This is so the top will hit first and the bottom will pull in for a good seal.

https://myrvpartsplacestore.3dcartstores.com/assets/images/pdffiles/QDS-7009INS-REVOCT2004.pdf

I'm here for follow up questions.

Thank You,

Dale Woodward

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

That looks more like our design. If we run the slide out how far out does it need to be to check the level. and would it be best to place the level on the sides or across the bottom.

last question.

Thanks

Jim

Hello Jim, I suggest running the slide out about half way. At about that point there is some wheight transfer that takes place to cause the room to tip in or out slightly. Needless to say, you want to be sure your trailer is level before you start checking level of the room.

You'll need to check each side of the room in an in/out direction for level. Once you have that you can place the level across the bottom in a front to rear direction to check level that way.

Thanks,

Dale