Jeff Myers
Jeff Myers, RV Mechanic
Experience:  Owner of an RV Repair Facility for 9 years. 12VDC and 120VAC, ALL Appliances, Any and ALL problems!

1990 Ford F53 motorhome chassis. 460 engine, automatic. Cruise

Customer Question

1990 Ford F53 motorhome chassis. 460 engine, automatic. Cruise control quit working, then overdrive indicator light started blinking and speedodemeter doesn't work. Speedodemeter cable is good. What should I look for as the problem?   Steve
Category: RV
Expert:  Jeff Myers replied 7 years ago.
Hello Steve, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am going to try and help you with your problem. The F53 Ford chassis came standard with the E40D transmission. This is the possible cause of your problem.

1. The flashing OD light is an indication of a transmission related trouble code in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). When it has a trouble code related to the transmission it usually commands full line pressure to try to protect the transmission from damage. Normally this is caused by a transmission slip code. Have your computer scanned to see what transmission codes are stored. If it is a torque converter slip code keep in mind it could be stored from converter clutch slippage, or slippage in another transmission clutch pack.
2 More than likely it is the Vehicle Speed Sensor that is attached to the rear of the transmission and the Speedo Cable then attaches to it. The VSS has moving parts inside of it the mesh with the transmission therefore giving your speedo cable its readout.
If the VSS has gone bad, it could cause all of the issues that you are experiencing. Take it to an authorized transmission repair facility and have the codes read. This will help us determine more of what is going on.

I believe it will be the VSS though. If you have any questions or concerns then please let me know. If I was a help to you today then please hit accept so that I may get credit for my answer and effort.

Hope this gets you going in the right direction,