technotony
technotony, RV Mechanic
Experience:  15 years specializing in all electrical problems, generators, inverters, converters, etc.

I have a 03; national rv islander

Customer Question

i have a 03; national rv islander . just bought it, and can't get the 2 tv's on or the dash sterio or back up monitor to come on.

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Category: RV
Expert:  technotony replied 5 years ago.

Hi, my name isXXXXX for using Just Answer. Sounds like a 12vdc fuse. The TV is 120vac but it may be run through an interlock with the ignition system that runs on 12vdc. Have you checked the fuses yet, I know that sounds to simple but we need to start there. I am talking about the fuses that are under the dash, the fuses for the chassis not the fuses for the house. If you have a bad fuse obviously, change it, if not let me know and we can look for some other reason.

Tony

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

hi technotony,thanks for the reply. i looked under the dash and found 2 seperate inline fuses and one of them the end is broke not letting it make contact. i'm gonna go get another one and see if that is the problem. Would a 12v fuse be it?

thanks,Denny Farley

Yes, your problem seems to be a 12vdc problem. Fix the bad fuses and let me know if that also takes care of the TV. If not we can work on them seperatly..

Tony

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, i'll be back in touch ....soon

Ok, I'll be here.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok , did u get my last reply about that didn't work?

no i did not. So are all 12vdc fuses good now. What changed anything?

Tony

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

nothing changed.......i replaced the fuse body with a new one, but didn't help...and also noticed that the micro/conv oven isn't on either.

Denny

Ok, lets back up and start over new.

Are you connected to shore power???

Is it 30 or 50amp???

Big question, do you have a house inverter (inverter makes 120vac out of 12vdc)???

Tony

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i'm not plugged in ...my gen is running... and my ac is working,but i did have it plugged in to a 50amp at the campground earlier. And the tv's and all didn't work.Yes there is a inverter 2000 amp i believe, and the switch says it's on.

Ok great, lets look at all the AC first. These are the things to check. On the inverter, there should be two fuses they are AC but they look like little white buttons, make sure they are both in. On the generator, it has two breakers on it, make sure the two breakers are in. Big one, the GFI outlets in the house, you may have more then one, make sure all the GFI outlets are reset. Lastly the breakers in the house, make sure the breakers are all reset.

Do this and let me know if any one of these conditions was bad and what it fixed. What I am wondering here Denny is, could one of the 120vac legs be off. Check it out and let me know and we will move on from there. One thing at a time.

Tony

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, ,it's a xantrex inverter and has no push button fuses. It has some throw switch breakers and i flipped them off then on. It's a Onan 8k gen and has one throw break and i can only find one gfi breaker and it;s in the bathroom. Nothing is working so far.

Ok, I was making some assumptions and I should not, I was thinking a hart inverter and many Onans have two breakers but it dos not matter because you are doing a great job and covering up for me. LOL. Ok with everything don you still have no AC power to the RVs and Microwave???

The TVs and micro, would work off the inverter so did you check the breakers in the main breaker box as well?

Also Dennis, the inverter may have a sub panel for the two circuits it has. Maybe not but it is worth looking in the bay with the inverter and make sure there is no breaker box in there. Other then the breakers on the inverter they usually will run the two circuits through house breakers as well. Power going into the inverter is at the main breaker panel in the house.

sorry Denny i called you dennis. da.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes , but did not throw them off & on...should i do that? Shold i go plug something in and see if the plug-in work inside the coach?

Yes, check everything. See what is working and what is not.

tony

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i did that ...nothing.........checked the 110 plugs and none of them r working

Ok Denny, I am thinking your inverter is not putting out at all. I am almost positive of it. Here is my question. Are you ready for the kind of testing it takes to work on it???

You will need a volt meter and be comfortable using it. Or would you rather take it to a dealer and let them work on it???

You said you just bought it, did any of this stuff work before or has it always been like this since you got it.

Tony

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it's been this way since i got it...7-2-09 it only has 10k on it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
is it fixable or would i need a new one? I have a volt meter.

Not fixable but testable. Do you want to do some testing on it?? I will give you direction.

Is this your inverter???

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i got it to work all but the radio....i'll have to see why that don't come on...i went out and flipped the switch on the inverter from on to off then further to the right to rem...what ever that means and then back to on and went inside and the tv's powered up and the micro come on. thanks tony for walking me thru this and i'll push accept.

Thank you Denny, come back if you need me. I wil be going off for a wile but i will be back.

Remote is you can have a cable plugged into the rj12 (telephone jack) jack and run to a remote on/off or monitor in the coach. You may have a remote and I never thought of it. Look for an inverter switch in the coach, my switch is in the kitchen but my buddies is over his door so you never know where they are going to put them. If you have one turn it to the on position and go back out and set the selector to remote.

tony

technotony, RV Mechanic
Experience: 15 years specializing in all electrical problems, generators, inverters, converters, etc.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i don't understand what u r telling me about the remote.....there is a switch in the bathroom with a lite switch sort of thing with a red lite indicator below it. Is the remote u r talking about for the rr monitor?

No, I'm sorry if I did not say it well. If the inverter you have is the same as the picture I sent you then you will see a port there where you can plug in a wire for a remote on/off switch. Look at your inverter, if there is not wire plugged into that port then you don't have a remote, if there is then in your RV will be a switch and it will be labeled inverter on/off. Some people like to be able to turn the inverter off and on, I don't know why, I have an inverter like you in my motor home and I never turn it off.

Sorry if I confused you by not stating it well.

Tony

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, i understand......but at the front door there is a disconnect switch ..... so i switch it to disconnect when i'm not using the bus. i think it is to disconnect the house batts, so u don't drain them...i think.

Yes Denny you are correct.

tony