technotony
technotony, RV Mechanic
Experience:  15 years specializing in all electrical problems, generators, inverters, converters, etc.

2002 demon: release lever to release position..tryed..slight..rotate

i have pulled release lever to release position, awning will not release. tryed aplying slight pressure to rotate drum in both directions no luck.Original equip on 2002 Damon Daybreak. Dometic Awning.
Category: RV
Expert:  technotony replied 5 years ago.

Hi Dave, this is Tony again. I see you posted this as a new question, do you want a new expert??? I will opt out if a new expert is what you want and someone else may jump in when available.

Please let me know so I can opt out if that is what you want or I will send you more to do if that is what you want. We here at JA want you to get the best answer you can, and to have a good experience.

Tony C.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry Tony my bad let me know what have still waiting

Hi Dave, I think you are saying you want to continue so here goes.

I do need to know is the release lever on the right upright arm or do you use the hook and pull down the lever???

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Release lver is on right and yes I do use a hook

Ok, you may have already don this but lets see. Using a ladder or going up on the roof (I like the roof better but be carful) look at the lever, it is attached to the pin that goes into the drum with a little roll pin. Make sure when you move the lever up and down that the pin going into the drum is rotating. If not the roll pin may have broke off.

Can you lift up and down on the lever with no resistance; you should not be able to.

If it is rotating the pin then push hard on the lever to the open position and using your other hand twist the drum as hard as you can. Someone on the other end rotating would help if you have someone. Don't be afraid to push hard on that lever. If you get a good rotation on the drum (about a quarter to a half an inch) and the lock dose not release then you may need to take it apart as it may have just corroded inside.

If this is the case you may want to consider taking it to an RV shop to have this work done. There is a lot of tension on the spring and you could heart yourself if you are not carful or nolagable as to how it comes apart.

Don't be afraid to push on the lever and rotate the drum as hard against the stop as you can.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hey Tony thanks for your help while waiting for your answer went out unlatched lower legs let them hang free. This freed up Drum and Lever. I think Drum was coil bound.Tanks for your help,we have owned this RV for 3 years,this is first time I have been able to get awning out! I have rolled it up and down several times seems to be OK. Thanks again Dave

I am glad Dave, This is not all that uncommon a thing to happen. I would still spray some WD40 in the mechanism to keep it clean. Remember WD40 is a cleaner not a lubricant.

Have a great day and happy camping.

Tony C.

technotony, RV Mechanic
Experience: 15 years specializing in all electrical problems, generators, inverters, converters, etc.