OnanMan
OnanMan, Generator Tech
Experience:  14 years in the Cummins/Onan distributor network, Level 3 certified in RV, Marine and industrial fie
17316830

Onan Generator...Micro Quiet Model #4KYFA26100K - Serial #6020394502.

Onan Generator...Micro Quiet Model #4KYFA26100K - Serial #6020394502. I just bought the Motorhome (2003) Georgie Boy Landau. The previous owner had the unit sewrviced by my request (It would not start due to setting too long). A new carb and fuel pump was installed by mechanic and tested. I took a trip last month and while on the road I started the generator...It ran for about 10-15 minutes then quit. I checked the obvious things, Oil Fuel etc. and everything seemed fine. As stated the gen starts, runs for a few minutes then stalls outsometimes it surges then quits). The mechanic that did the work for previous owner does not have a clue to the problem - Can you HELP?
Category: RV
Expert:  OnanMan replied 5 years ago.
I am Don and thanks for choosing Just Answer. This definitely sounds like a fuel problem, but it may not be the gen as you had the carb and pump changed. First, how full is your fuel tank? It may sound like a dumb question but if the fuel tank gets around 1/4, the gen will shut down so you don't get stranded, meaning the main engine will still have a fuel supply. Another common problem is the rubber fuel lines from the gen to the tank get dry rotted, check that too. I am curious if your start switch flashes a code when this happens...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Don,

Fuel Tank is Full, fuel lines are not dry rotted, Only code (which is not a code according to manual) is 3-3

Expert:  OnanMan replied 5 years ago.
Ok that is a general code that is telling you that there is another secondary code. To get this code, let it shut down again, then when it flashes 3, press stop 1 time and then you will get the real code, pay close attention. It is a 2 digit code so 36 will be blink, blink, blink pause Blink, blink, blink..(6 times). It will continue this code for 5 minutes so you have plenty of time, I await your reply..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok Don,

I ran it for about 12 minutes...It surged and stalled the code looks like 3 blinks pause 6 blinks

Expert:  OnanMan replied 5 years ago.
Ok, this code means that something other than the generator caused the gen to stop, in other words the controller on the gen is telling us "I didn't tell it to stop". The 1 st question I have is do you have auto gen start? This feature will monitor your battery voltage and room temperature and start/stop the gen. Probably not the problem, another question is are you running the gen with a load and it shuts down? Or are you just running the gen without a load?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No auto gen start (I don't think)...Runnin the gen with load (roof air on)... Have same problem w/o load.

Expert:  OnanMan replied 5 years ago.
I am wondering if it will run without the load, stay plugged into shore power and then turn off the circuit breaker at the gen and see how long it will run...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Don,

It ran for 18 minutes (no load) it surged and quit

Expert:  OnanMan replied 5 years ago.
Ok, after the carburetor was put on, how long did the gen sit without being run? It could also be stale fuel in the fuel tank, I know that the main engine will run but remember, the gen is a much smaller unit, just asking...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The generator was run immediately after installation of carb and pump for a brief period. The trip to florida consumed 6 to 8 tanks of gas... so fuel is fresh
Expert:  OnanMan replied 5 years ago.
Ok, do we still get code 36 everytime?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did'nt check code last time
Expert:  OnanMan replied 5 years ago.

All I can tell you is something other than the gen is shutting it down, that is what a code 36 means..I have seen the dip tube that goes into the fuel tank get rusted out(water) and then the gen sucks air and shuts down. Since you describe to me that the gen stumbles before it shuts down I believe it is a fuel problem, how long ago was the carb replaced? Because the shut off is on the carb and I saw this the other day, the shut off was the problem, but in this case it shut down like someone hit the stop switch...worth a look..

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I guess i'll take it to a cummins dealer in syracuse for a check up, Thanks
Expert:  OnanMan replied 5 years ago.
I wish I could be more help!! If you have anymore questions please ask! It's just that code!! It means the generator is fine but it's telling us "It's not me!!" haha, It was a pleasure helping you out...
OnanMan, Generator Tech
Experience: 14 years in the Cummins/Onan distributor network, Level 3 certified in RV, Marine and industrial fie