Nick
Nick, RVIA Certification
Experience:  5 years RV repair and reconstruction, Fleetwood RV Training course completion.
10390867

sundowner 3 horse living quarters trailer..12v..charger..inverter

Customer Question

Hi. I have a Sundowner 3 horse living quarters trailer with a 2 12V battery bank and charger/inverter. My batteries are new and charge to 12.9-13.6v usually. My problem is that I'm only getting 5-6V at my three 12V living quarters outlets. Also, my 12V radio/CD player inside isn't getting sufficient power to turn on. Any ideas? If so, I'd appreciate it. Steve Falk
Category: RV
Expert:  Nick replied 5 years ago.
hmmmm interesting...
what is the model and model number of your converter/inverter
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have no idea. It came stock with the Sundowner trailer and the trailer is out at our stables. Steve
Expert:  Nick replied 5 years ago.
ok.. ironically had one come through the shop a few months back and i had to replace the converter but dont remember what it had... well, not to worry...
your charging at 13v, which is good... im going to make an assumption, i hope is correct, and that is the radio is probably on the same fuse as the outlets... so my first port of call would be the fuse panel.. i would inspect the fuse and also inspect the fuse holder... sometimes they get loose and dont make good contact....
check your grounds in there, they may be grounded behind somewhere...depending on your fuse panel... but if you can get at the grounds. check them, make sure all are good and tight...
after that, if that checks out ok.. you will need to use a volt meter.... (you can get a cheap one from sears or radioshack easy, doesnt need to be fancy, if you dont have one) check the voltage at the fuse itself.....see what your voltage is AT the fuse.... if it is 12v at the fuse, then your problem is in the wiring somewhere.. if you only have 6volts at the fuse... check the other fuses.. see what you have there...
if you have 6 v to all fuses... im thinking you either have a bad converter, that maybe charging the batts, but not putting out what it should.. or bad battery.. you say they are new. it is not uncommon for new batts to be bad.. so worth while whipping them off and taking them into autozone or something, have them do a free load test on them, just to eliminate that....also check your terminal connections at the battery.. make sure they are good and clean.... tight...
if battery checks out... locate the converter and check the ground connection to the converter, usually white in RVs, but i dont know for sure in a horse trailer, but imagine it the same.. it will be marked anyway....

once you have done all that... next idea is to remove 1 fuse at a time from the fuse panel, checking your voltage to the outlets each time... see if the voltage goes up after you remove a fuse.. it could be a bad circuit elsewhere, causing your issue, this will eliminate that...

try those things frist... and then let me know what you find and we can go from there... eliminate the obvious first...

Thankyou for your question.. please remember this is the answer page and to click accept if you are satisfied with my answer so i get paid for my efforts.. Please also note, accepting my answer does not terminate our correspondance, you may continue to reply after accepting and i will work with you until the problem is solved.
thankyou and please let me know if you require further assistance.....

:Nick:

Nick, RVIA Certification
Experience: 5 years RV repair and reconstruction, Fleetwood RV Training course completion.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Nick: Your reply sounds very good and I have all the equipment and instruments to do the suggested testing myself. Very good reply. Thank you. Steve
Expert:  Nick replied 5 years ago.

good... its a process of elimination.. best to start at the start and work through until you find where the problem starts occuring... once you tested all that, as i say.. let me know and hopefully we can figure this out.... i work during the day but on in the evening if you need more help...