RIP ROBERT
RIP ROBERT, R.V. TECH & MECHANIC
Experience:  35 plus years HANDS ON WORK TROUBLE SHOOTING & REPAIRS
8361237

1975 Commander: motor home..shore power and the generator..drained

Customer Question

I have a 1975 Commander Motorhome. It has LOTS of issues but the one thing that I am current worried about is; I was "boondocking" and ended up have to do that for a lot longer than originally planned and I did not have access to shore power and the generator went out on me as well...So to have a little light at night, they ran off the battery which, as you can guess, drained the already 5 YR old battery. So I got a new battery and had my worker install it. BTW I have been on shore power since 2 days after the old one died. OK after all that, here we go. When he put the battery in, he reversed the lines..... wierd thing is, the couch 12V floresent light worked fine, until a second standard buld light was turned on then the floresent went dim..... and they have been dim since and I know that the battery is dying. Is it the battery that is "toast" or is my inverter "toast" (it is still warm so I know that power is going to it) or are both needing to be replaced?
Category: RV
Expert:  RIP ROBERT replied 5 years ago.
HICustomer

HOOKING THE BATTERY UP BACKWARDS SHOULD HAVE BLOW THE FUSE INSIDE THE FRONT PANEL F YOUR CONVERTER, AND YOU WOULD HAVE TO CHECK WHAT THE FRONT PANEL SAYS, MOST OF THE EARLY MODEL CONVERTERS DIDN'T HAVE CHARGERS IN THEM, UNLESS IT HAS BEEN UP GRADED SINCE 1975.   I DON'T KNOW HOW LONG THE BATTERY WAS HOOK UP WRONG, BUT IF THE POLARITY WAS CHANGED ON THE BATTERY, YOU WILL HAVE TO DRAIN THE BATTERY OF POWER COMPLETELY THEN RECHARGE IT THE RIGHT WAY.   WITH THE BATTERY DISCONNECTED AND PLUGGED INTO SHORE POWER, IF YOUR CONVERTER IS WORKING YOU SHOULD HAVE ALL YOUR LIGHTS INSIDE THE COACH.   I WOULD DOUBLE CHECK THE ALL FUSES.   YOUR ENGINE SIZE IS A 440, NOT 460.   YOU HAVE A GREAT DAY.   THANK YOU FOR USING JUST ANSWER.

THANK YOU,

RIP ROBERT
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hmmmm.... well, I looked at the converter....it HAS to be the original one..... it looks really old and there is no way to access the front of it I cant even see a manufacturer on it anywhere..... it seems to have a U shaped section in the center of it that has a nut/bolt on it..... the only fuses that I am aware of are the main engine ones under the dash and there are 4 glass fuses in a box that sits in front of the converter..... which might be what you were telling me in the first place.... ;-) can ya tell im not "techie"?? I did look at the fuses and they seem to all be intact....... thanks for the correction on the motor size... I knew 440..... its been a long RV!! (day) I will take care of accepting the moment we are done.... do I only get one issue per 15 bucks??? :-D
HICustomer

FROM WHAT YOU TELL ME YOUR CONVERTER ONLY POWERS THE COACH IT DOESN'T CHARGE.   YOU MAY WANT TO BUY A NEW LATE MODEL CONVERTER LATER.   WHAT WAS YOUR OTHER QUESTION?   HAVE A GREAT DAY.

THANK YOU,

RIP ROBERT
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the box with the 4 glass fuses in it was the "front" of the converter that you were referring to? also.... what is the best way to drain and recharge the battery??

Thanks.
HI GIXXEROD;

YES THE FUSE THERE ARE THE ONES AND SOME TIMES IN THE BATTERY BOX THE IS A FUSE.   HOOK A 12VOLT LIGHT UP TO THE BATTERY TILL IT NO LONGER IS LITE.   THE PUT A LOW AMP CHARGER ON THE BATTERY OVER NIGHT.   

TAKE CARE & THANK YOU,

RIP ROBERT
RIP ROBERT, R.V. TECH & MECHANIC
Experience: 35 plus years HANDS ON WORK TROUBLE SHOOTING & REPAIRS
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
well...... I drained the battery and disconnected the cables and I do not have lights..... :-(    I will check everywhere for fuses and see what I can find and let you know...

Thanks.
HICustomer

HOW MANY WIRES ARE HOOKED THE THE BATTERY?   DO YOU HAVE A TEST LIGHT?   DOES THE CONVERTER HUM?   WAITING TO HEAR FROM YOU.

THANK YOU,

RIP ROBERT
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do not have a test light but I can find someone that does. inverter isnt humming and is luke warm. all four fuses are fine. there are 2 wires on each connector. and the automotive fuses are good also.
HICustomer

NEED TO CHECK IF THERE IS ANY POWER GETTING THE THE FUSE BLOCK, WITH OUT THE BATTERY HOOKED UP.    IS YOUR GENERATOR AN ONAN MOUNTED IN THE COACH OR A PORTABLE?   DO YOU GET ANY POWER TO THE LIGHTS IN THE COACH WITH THE COACH ENGINE RUNNING? HAVE A GREAT DAY.

THANK YOU,

RIP ROBERT
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
coach battery is referring to the battery that is used to start the engine of the motorhome correct??? Oh and the generator went out a couple of weeks ago....
HICustomer

WHEN THE COACH ENGINE IS RUNNING DO YOUR INTERIOR LIGHTS WORK?   MY QUESTION ABOUT THE GENERATOR WAS BECAUSE OF THE NUMBER OF WIRES ON THE AUX BATTERY.

THANK YOU,

RIP ROBERT
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well the saga continues.... ;-) Remember that I just(within the past week) put 2 new batteries in here. Standard type for the motorhome to start and a deep cycle for the "living area" use in the motorhome. soooooo I got a charger, a 6 amp automatic battery charger for 12V batteries.... I attached it to the drained battery(standalone) and a few moments after that...... the charger made a somewhat loud clicking sound and the meter needle went from 0-8 then back to 0. After it did this a second time, I put it on the other battery and the needle stayed at 8 and the charger didnt click, although when I tried to start the motor, I had nothing.... no power. period. I had this happen before and there was a loose wire on the relay... it was fixed(supposedly)
HICustomer

I'LL GET BACK TO YOU IN A LITTLE WHILE, WITH WHAT TO DO.

THANK YOU,

RIP ROBERT

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Any ideas yet?
HICustomer

I TALKED TO MY BUDDY AT INTERSTATE BATTERIES, AND HE CONFIRMED THAT TOTALY DRAINING THE BATTERY AND RECHARGING IT THE RIGHT WAY IS ALL YOU HAVE TO DO.   NOW WITH THE LITTLE CHARGER THAT YOU HAVE MY NOT BE STORGE ENOUGH TO TAKE A BATTERY FROM DEAD TO FULL CHARGE.   FOR THE FIRST CHARGING TO GET THE POLARITY BACK YOU'LL HAVE TO TAKE THE BATTERY TO A SERVICE PLACE WITH A HIGH POWERED CHARGER TO GET IT GOING AGAIN.   YOU HAVE A GREAT DAY.

THANK YOU,

RIP ROBERT