Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

How to replace the slide out rubber seal?

The slide room will have a flange on the outside all the way around the room on the outside, some use a gasket that has metal in the gasket and this is forced over the flange so the seal will go on, other types will stick right to the flange. The hard part about doing this repair is access. IF you have an awning the room will have to come out about three feet and the awning will have to be pinned, pinning the awning keeps the tension on the awning, if you try to remove the arms the tension will come off and you could get injured. After the awning is pinned you can then remove the arms and put the awning on the roof... Then you can remove the old gasket, some are one continued piece, others are cut at 45 degree angles and glued together so pay attention of the corners. The new swipe seal will stick over the flange or pinch onto the flange. What I do is clean the flange really good then start at one bottom and work my way up to the corner, I have actually made a tool to help press on the style with the metal in it, you can use something plastic that will get in between the slide room and flange and gently pry, I would practice with a small piece first until you get the hang of it. You can use a glue like super glue to glue the corners if you have to.

The strip you are talking about most likely is a non-skid tape, this will help flip the seal and should be place at an angle across the room. This works well to flip the seal but will put more abuse on the seal, so I would only use it if you have to.

Read full interaction below »

I need to replace the slide out gaskets /wipers on my 5th-wheel. I heard it wasn't too difficult and I know where to get the gaskets. I'm just not clear on how it’s done. The forums I’ve visited seemed vague. Can you help?

Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 8 years ago.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

It sounds simple enough, ours don't have a metal piece, but u talk about "something Plastic", can u elaborate. Oh, and I don't have slide awnings, that’s my next project. So, I'll be hitting you up for that info too.

Expert:  Robert replied 8 years ago.

Makes it allot easier if you do not have awnings. If you have the pinch style gasket (I always call it swipe seal) with the metal inside the seal it can be difficult to get it on the flange around the slide room, you have to push really hard to get it on properly. Sometimes because of access you cannot get your fingers in between the slide room and flange, SO you can use something to help assist the seal on, plastic will not damage the paint and it will have to be solid enough to push the seal on the flange. What I would do is practice with a small section until you feel comfortable enough doing the entire room. Also, I have found if you spray some 409 or glass cleaner it will also help when you are pushing the seal on. You might have access to push the seal on and you would not need something to assist you. Hope that makes sense.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thank you.