technotony
technotony, RV Mechanic
Experience:  15 years specializing in all electrical problems, generators, inverters, converters, etc.
8442459

generator runs but no power output checked breakers and fuses

Customer Question

generator runs but no power output checked breakers and fuses none appreared to be tripped
Category: RV
Expert:  technotony replied 5 years ago.

Hi, my name isXXXXX would be glad to help you with this problem; can you tell us the make and model of the generator? The year would be helpful as well. Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
1998 onan 5.5 bgm

Can you tell me is this motor home equipped with and automatic switch to switch from generator power to shore power, or do you have to plug the pig tale into the generator?

Also can you tell me where you are checking for power or is it just there is no power in the house? These questions will help us help you. Thanks again for working with me.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it has an auto switch, their is power to lights etc... that is running off the batteries i assume, but no power for sockets electric water or appliences... when connected to shore power everting works

The automatic switch is like a "Y" in a water hose. Think of the switch box as the "Y". The power cord from the generator goes into the box, the shore power cord goes into the box, and a cord comes out of the box and goes to you main panel. There are several different makes of these switches. Most of the time whether you are hooked to shore power or not when you start the generator there is a time delay before it kicks in.

I believe the best place for you to start is to fine the switch box, shut down the generator and disconnect the shore power, remove the cover from the box and locate the wires coming from the generator. Now with a 110vac tester in hand start the generator let the delay time laps and see if the box clicks in. Put the tester on the wires from the generator and see if you have power to there. If you have power there but no power in the house (relays did not click in after delay time) then you have a bad switch. Most of the switches have a small PCB and you may fine a fuse on it. DON'T TUCH ANYTHING IN THERE TILL YOU HAVE ALL POWER OFF! Now if you did not have power on the generator line then the problem is at the generator and you probably have a bad circuit breaker.

I hope this helps you. This is the answer page, Please hit accept so I can get paid for my efforts. Remember hitting accept dose not end our time together, we can keep working on this till we get it resolved.

technotony, RV Mechanic
Experience: 15 years specializing in all electrical problems, generators, inverters, converters, etc.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what is a pcb?

I'm sorry, I should not do that. It is a "Printed Circuit Board". Again, I'm sorry for the confusion. Tony C.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ty... will the shore power and gen share same switch? and the one running to the house be the one on its own?

The box is the "Y" so you are correct, there should be three wires going into the box, one from the generator (that is the one we wont to put the tester on) one from the shore power cable, and one going out of the box and into the house to the main panel. Do you have a tester and are you good with a tester?????? Remember you will have two hot wires and one common and one ground coming from the generator. You want to put the tester on the common and one of the hot lines then the other hot line. Record your findings. Sometimes there is a schismatic in the cover of the box; we want to fine 120vac on the two hot wires coming from the generator. If the terminals are marked you are looking for the generator "line in" terminals.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yeah im ok with tester going to do it now thanx

I would send you a schismatic of the switch box but I don't know what brand or amp rated switch you have and I don't want to confuse you by giving you the wrong schismatic.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i get 120 from shore 0 from gen

Hi again, I'm back. Well seems like the problem is between the generator and the switch. Can you fallow the wires from that switch box back to where it goes into the generator and make sure there is nothing between the two.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok

If there is nothing like a fuse box between the transfer switch and the generator then the next likely place is the back of the two breakers. You are good with a tester so I would gain access to the back of the breakers and check to make sure you have power into and out of both of them. I have found that most transfer switches will not switch unless you are getting power form both legs (both breakers). Check them next.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok

I will stand by hear. Let me know.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i think thats a little beyond me i guess i will take it to a dealer and let him know where i got to with so that he at least knows i have an idea what the problem might be i didnt realize transfer switcheswere so expensive!! thanx for the help

Thank you for working with me. I think after all our time together you must have a better understanding of the electrical on your motor home. It is good to have as much knowledge of the systems as you can. If you feel you wont to tackle it later on I am confident it will be one of the breakers. Have a great evening and good lick. Tony C.