Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic
Experience:  16 years of experience

F53: chassis..diagnostic..both inoperative cruise..engage

Customer Question

I have a 2004 motor home F53 chassis V10 engine. The cruise worked one day, the next time I used it, it did not work at all. I have followed the Ford Service diagnostic sequence for both inoperative cruise and will not engage cruise trouble shooting sequence. Both diagnostic sequences indicated it required a cruise control module.
However, while I was on the way to get gas I tried the cruise. It worked, except it soon would not hold the set MPH. After pressing the on button, then the set button it worked again. I discovered pressing the resume button was all that is needed to resume the set speed.
Sounds like a brake pedel position switch to me, but the diagnostics checked it out as being OK. Customer
Category: RV
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 5 years ago.

Hello Betray,

Thanks for asking your question and stopping by here at Just Answer, I'm Chris.

So when you press on and then set, it does light the indicator but it never applies throttle nor maintains speed?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hello Chris

Pressing the ON button is not required, pressing only the RESUME button causes the cruise to re-activate and resume the previously set MPH. I did not notice if the cruise indicator lamp was on at all.

Customer

Maybe I am just not understanding exactly how your describing your concern, When you press resume a vehicle should go back to the set speed you originally selected?

Are you saying when you hit set/accel initially it does not save the speed at all?

Is there any way for you to see if the indiactor light comes on when set is pressed?

This is the factory cruise setup correct?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hello Chris

I'm sorry. 1st - the cruise did not work at all. 2nd - I followed the Ford Service Diagnostic Sequence and replacing the Module was indicated. I did not replace the module. 3rd - I drove to get gas and tried the cruise and it worked. However within a mile it started loosing speed, so I pressed the ON Button, then the SET button and it worked again but for less than a mile again. This time I only pressed the RESUME button and the cruise activated and accelerated back to the pre set speed, but again for less than a mile. I did this several times.

The cruise acts like the brake pedal was momentarily depressed, the vehicle begins to slow, and then will resume to the pre set speed when the RESUME button is momentairly pressed.

Everything works as It should, except it will only hold a pre set speed for a short time.

I think I was better off when it didn't work at all.

Customer/p>

Okay now I understand your concern.

You are looking at a speed control deactivator swiotch which is failing and or leaking or a brake signal from the BPP switch on the brake pedal. You can get someone to follow you with a cell phone to see if the rbake lights flash on indicating a brake signal happened uncommanded. I feel this concern is a faulty speed control servo whcih has internal stepper motor failure.

graphicgraphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hello Chris

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX't think of that. I was focused on the cruise portion of the BPP switch rather than the brake lamp portion.

It is late now, in the morning I will have someone follow me and check out the brake lights and I will also check the IP CRUISE indicator lamp.

I will be back in the morning with the answer.

Customer/p>
Sounds good, I will back on in the evening after work if you want to reply then
Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic
Experience: 16 years of experience
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Chris

I was surprised, I found a volunteer. I went for about a five mile drive. The cruise de-activated only once, the brake lights didn't flicker. I pressed the RESUME button and it resumed the pre set speed. I tried coast, set accelerate, and resume. They all worked correctly.

This is a factory cruise system, switches in the steering wheel.

There is no cruise lamp on the IP.

Thank you.

Customer/p>

P.S. I was better off when it didn't work at all.

Ok the light on the dash being inop may very well just be a bulb. I was asking prior to see if the light went out when speed started going down. You have ruled out the BPP switch now so the servo is now my almost sure pick here.