R & K RV
R & K RV, RV Mechanic
Experience:  Many years of experience on all types of RV repair. Specializing in electrical and generation.

Propane not working in RV

Customer Question

Propane not working in RV
Category: RV
Expert:  R & K RV replied 5 years ago.

Are you not getting gas to any of the appliances? Does your RV have a fixed LP tank or removable bottles?

If you have an LP gas detector, check to see if it can be reset. Some RV's have an electric solenoid shutoff valve that stops gas flow if the LP detector trips. You may also want to check the DC fuses for the solenoid and/or the LP detector if yours is so equipped.

Take a look and get back with me.

Thanks for the question,

Ronnie

R & K RV, RV Mechanic
Experience: Many years of experience on all types of RV repair. Specializing in electrical and generation.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes it does have a LP detector it does have a solenoid. Where is the fuse usally located. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Expert:  R & K RV replied 5 years ago.

The fuse is usually located in the main fuse panel but I have seen them installed with an inline fuse holder near the solenoid. They normally will have power going to the on/off switch - through the contacts on the LP detector - and then to the solenoid.

I would start with the fuse panel and see if you have a bad one. Next, I would check for power at the switch and then the LP detector.

Before you go to much trouble. Have someone turn the solenoid on/off a few times while you are at the unit. Listen for a click or hum. That will let you know if you have voltage getting to it. If it makes noise, tap it with a screwdriver handle to see if it will open. They are notorius for sticking.

Keep me posted.

Thanks,

Ronnie

R & K RV, RV Mechanic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will check fuses, but i have yet to locate an on/off switch i'll let you know.
Expert:  R & K RV replied 5 years ago.

Most of the better RV manufactures will locate the switch in the range hood. Some even take the extra step and install a fusible link in line with the switch wiring. This would shut off the propane in the event of a stove fire by melting the link which kills power to the solenoid.

Let me know what you find.

Thanks,

Ronnie