E.Hagen, RV Mechanic
Experience:  10 years of experience, 5 years Master Certified. Factory trained to repair RV equipment.

My rvs generator does not charge my batteries anymore, why?

My rv's generator does not charge my batteries anymore, why?
Category: RV
Expert:  E.Hagen replied 7 years ago.

What kind of generator do you have? When it is running dose all of you appliances work? What is the year, make, model is you coach? Dose the batters charge when you are plugged in to a power pole?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

It has an Onan 4000 generator. All the appliences work when its running. It is a 2001 Weekend Warrior 5th wheel toyhauler. I currently have it in a storage facility and have not tried to run it to a power pole.

Expert:  E.Hagen replied 7 years ago.

The problem is not with the generator. If all the appliances work then either the converter is not charging or the battery is bad and will not accept a charge. If you have a volt meter check the voltage at the battery befor starting the gen. Start the generator and then check the voltage again. If the converter is working then the voltage should be around 14.4. If not check the fuses in the convert. There should be 2 green 30 amp fuses in the top right hand side of the converter just above a row of other fuses. The 2 green fuses are the battery to converter fuses. If the battery was dead and you jump started the gen some times the converter will blow fuses trying to recharge the battery at too high of a rate.

Sorry just saw that you have a new battery. Just make sure that you have connected the battery correct. Dose the 12 volt lights work with out the gen running? And if I'm not mistaken weekend warrior has a batter disconnect switch in the power cord door. Have you checked it to make sure it did not get bumped in the off position?