Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician
Experience:  Serving the rv industry since 1977

A Onan 6.5 NH generator that will not stay running when start switch

Customer Question

I have a Onan 6.5 NH generator that will not stay running when start switch released. It will run as long as the switch is pressed. Has new brushes and runs (usually) on LPG.
Category: RV
Expert:  Michael Reush replied 7 years ago.
Hi, this is Michael, good that you have replaced the brush's because thats one of the things that will create this problem........Ck the voltage at the brush's should be 12v, this is what excites the stator to create voltage, and then transforms that voltage to keep the unit running............So ck the voltage there and let me know. The other thing you can do to see if its a control problem is take a jumper wire, and get 12v positive and access the lp valve wire,(this opens to allow gas to the unit when you start it) when you access that wire and jump it with power, see if it keeps running.....What your doing is bypassing the relays that close to use power created to keep running.....See if it runs.......Once we know it will keep running, and there is or is not 12v at the brush's, then we need to look at the control board........I have diag literature for the board.......Let me know........Thanks Michael
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Michael, Thanks for the info. I tried your suggestion and found that the generator does run when 12v applied to solenoid valve, also have 12v at brushes. My generator does not have a control board, it has two small relays at bottom of control box and a starter solenoid valve as well as start switch and fuses. Any more tips?
thanks Dave Oxford
Hi, thanks for accepting, I tell you what, I will get the wiring diagram for the NH Lp tomorrow and send it here tomorrow.................We need to figure out why one of thoes relays is not closing to allow the unit to run on its own...........Tell you what, I believe they are the same, Bosh relays (they say onan) swap them and see if it stays running, could be one is bad.......When I get the diagram it will be easier to see which is which. And you can test the relay's..............should be Hot one terminal, Ground on one terminal. then the trigger ( pos when on) and the load side ( that sends power to the load)..........Tell you what, it will be much easier with the diagram,,,,,,,,I'm a little confused myself without it...............If its ok , I'll talk to you again tomorrow...........
Hi, Michael again, here is the Nh and the set up, its not a wiring diagram, but it shows you the congfigurtion of the components.........The other thought I had was when you get it running with the jumper, ck the 110v output..........Thats the other piece of the puzzle, No 110, means no 12v to keep it running also................Thanksgraphicgraphic
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Michael,
I have found the problem and it turned out to be the "high air temperature switch" that provides the negative side to one of the relay coils. I found it open and after jumping the generator started and ran fine. Thanks for the help.
Dave oxford
Great, thanks for working with me.............Michael