Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

worst case cost rebuild my transmission 460 ford motorhome

worst case cost rebuild my transmission 460 ford motorhome pace arrow 1997 ,banks power pack on engine emergency brake on back end of tranny.
Category: RV
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 8 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris, a current Ford Lincoln Mercury employee.

Thanks for visiting Just Answer. I will do my very best to help you resolve your concerns by asking questions if needed then suppling a answer. Gaining your TRUST in myself and knowledge is my goal. I try my hardest to respond in a timely matter and I will respond to any reply anytime I am on line.

The worst case scenario would be just replaceing it with a ford factory reman which comes with a 3 yr 100k warranty. The trans is about $2,100 and the labor should be no more than 7 hours. The labor though depends on the ability they have to work under the vehicle or lift it. There may be extra cost since the vehicle is so big. Since your out of town then this is the better option since its much faster and you get better quality parts. Ford can usually ship you a reman one in one buisness day. At my shop 70.50 is the labor rate. But I could not pick this vehicle up. So I would have to do it on jack stands and I would charge 1.5 hours extra for the hassle.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
chris tell me if i am correct , u stated 2,100 plus labor 7hrs @ 100 dollars high my guess so i say 2800 dollars to rebuild my tranny should be max in my opinion.now rebuilding my tranny with new converter and all internal parts if u agree plz respond
I am not suggesting you let anyone overhaul this older used transmission. Just get it replaced with one which has been refurbished by ford which will have new seals and clutches and a new converter. The reman trans has a better warranty than a new vehicle. Your price assumptions are correct.
Is this the information you were needing on this concern?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i have no choice chris iam broke down out of town im from pa and broke down in mitchell SD, my motorhome in getting fixed now i was just trying to get infro from u to debate the cost over 2800 dollars their price range is min 2,500 min up to 3,500. so they are going to rebuild it , so i was just trying to figure out why it would be more then 2800dollars adding in labor cost to ur 2100 rebuilt one plz respond

If there overhaul goes over the cost of just replaceing it which is the best option then your going to be wasting your money. The range in price on the overhaul is because they do not know whats damaged until they get in it.

If this is helpful please do hit accept so I get credit or reply and say I accept.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

how do i get tranny from ford for 2,100 dollars and if my cost is more then 2800 dollars iam getting screwed u saying lol plz respond

You go to a ford dealer an order one which fits your vehicle. On the internet ford dealers I am seeing them at about $2,250. I would need to be at my dealer to get an accurate price.

Remember this. A ford reman has almost all new parts and a tech overhauling yours will just go in and fix the one problem and get out. and only warranty it for about 12 months 12,000 miles.