Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

We have a 34 ft 2003 Four Winds Hurricane Class A coach.

We have a 34 ft 2003 Four Winds Hurricane Class A coach. When we broke camp this am the slide-out moved in very slowly and cause concern. After we unplugged to leave we had no power to anything in the coach. The fridge was not working, the water pump would not work, the panel to show the status of the holding tanks wouldn''t work. We checked the batteries, added water to one and then drove off. Thinking the batteries would charge as we drove. Not so. Even after driving all day we had no battery power. Everything works when using elec. What is another possible problem? Ken
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 8 years ago.

Hi There!

Thanks for Choosing Just Answer.

Are you able to plug in now or start your generator? Did you measure voltage at the house batteries?

Thanks, RJ

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
We are plugged in now. Haven't tried to start generator. Don't know how to measure voltage of house batteries. Do we need to start generator?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Generator will not start.
Expert:  Robert replied 8 years ago.

OK

The generator will not start because you have VERY Low voltage on your 12 volt system. The very first place I would start at is the batteries. You mentioned that they where a little low on water, I would have these batteries load tested. Most Auto Parts stores will test these free of charge. IF you batteries test GOOD then I would unplug the coach and hook a digital multi meter up to the batteries, Plug the coach in and watch the meter,the battery voltage should be charging very hard around 14.2 Volts. After awhile it should taper off. Your unit has a Inverter or Conventer,this component is responsible for charging your batteries up. Each of these components will either have re-settable breakers or fuses near them, make sure they are good. Also you should have a breaker inside your unit labeled Inverter or converter, make sure this breaker is on. From the sounds of it your house batteries could be bad.

Thank You! Please hit ACCEPT for my efforts, Positive feedback and BONUS welcomed!!