Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician
Experience:  Serving the rv industry since 1977
10974363

My Rv Freezer (dometic Brand) is cold but the Fridge is not ...

My Rv Freezer (dometic Brand) is cold but the Fridge is not working (getting cold)...What Can I do?
Hi, this is Michael.........................These are absorption refrigerators, and work with ammonia as the refrigerant. The reason I mention that is the freezer and the box work off the same yet different systems, Normally if the Freezer is freezing, and the box is not cold...........................First a couple of questions...........If you have a thermometer, what is the temperature in the box? Are you level? Running on gas or electric? Or tried both and it works the same on both?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I was running on gas(auto) when I pulled into my Drive way...After a 2 hours I checked on it. Freezer cold but not frig. Now I have Plug into the House (110 with a converter). After another 2 Hours...nothing on the frig...still
Is your driveway level? Was it cold before you pulled into the driveway? How long has it been on this time? Michael
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Driveway NOT Level...Not nothing was cold when I stated...Been running for a total of 4 hours. Also I have Cleaned (wipped down the little plastic "slide" that has a small plastic hose attached to it- that Looks like it slides up and down on the fins to make it colder.
Hi, The refer uses gravity to recycle the refrigerant, and if its too far out of level it cannot cycle it..........................4 hours you should see cooling in the box. You need to get it level there or somewhere and try it again, shut if off. Its not dangerous, but its a waste of energy................Has it worked in your driveway before?graphic Get back to me I'm still thinking.........Michael
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Nice...I'll try to park it on the Street(Its level). when you say "shut it off" do you mean push the off switch or just unplug the Power comming from the House?....How does that little side thing on the fins work? Also...when Do I accept your answer..fist time user.
can we still communicate once I have accepted your answer?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
You still there
Sorry It took so long, shut it off, no dont unplug the refer, you may need to unplug the coach to move it. The side thing on the fins,,,, is it inside the refer and attatched to the fins on the right side?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Don't know quite what I did...but its working now. Its on Level ground and Its running of Propane Gas. Oh and Yes the SLIDE (my typo not Side)thing is inside the frig and Slides up for colder temp and slide down for not as cold. Thanks for your help. My Father-in-law was mocking me for having used Just Answer...Yea well He was no help at all...Thanks for yours
Hi Michael again, Excellent, what you did was to allow the cooling unit to function properly by leveling the unit. Remember, it doesn't have to be perfectly level but it must be close. Suggestion. If an egg will roll of the galley top, is too un-level. The sliding device you see it the thermistor, it will either sense cooler or warmer air when moved up or down, slightly................Thats what its for...Thank you!!!!!!!!!Michaelgraphic