Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

Our slide out floor is rotten. how do you repalce it

No Comment Added
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 6 years ago.

Hi There!

Thanks for Choosing Just Answer.

What is the Year, Make and Model of the RV?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
1998 Alfa, idea 5th wheel, 31 foot
Expert:  Robert replied 6 years ago.

How bad is the damage? Is the floor soft will a screwdriver go through the wood if you tap the area?

Thanks, Robert

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I do not know if my last message went thru.
The wood is rotten.
The screws holding the metal have rusted the wood will not hold new screws.
I do not know if it is just the edge or all of the slide out floor. The area that is rotten is where the slide out mechanism is attached.

Thank You
Myrna
Expert:  Robert replied 6 years ago.

OK

This is a bad scenario being the slide room mech. is being affected. I would first remove the carpet and see how bad the damage is. IF the other areas are just watered stained you can use some killz floor treatment, if the floor is soft it should be replaced. Replacing the slide room floor can be a big job. In this case with the slide out mech. being affected makes things allot more difficult. Sometimes you can get away with just cutting out the area and installing new flooring or wood. In this case the slide room will have to be supported before any cutting can be done. In the shop we use a transmission jack to help support slide rooms. I would also consider taking this to a RV shop that is qualified to do this task. I would expect if the whole floor had to be replaced you are looking at paying between 8-14 hours worth of labor. Hope this helps.

Thank You! Please hit ACCEPT for my efforts, Positive feedback and BONUS welcomed!!

Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience: 18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.