Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

Our toilet is clogged and wont flush in our rv...tanks

help help help   our toilet is clogged and won''t flush in our rv. when we hit the flush the bowl starts to fill with water. We have tried emptying both the gray and black tanks . . . still nothing.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 6 years ago.

Hi There!

Thanks for Choosing Just Answer.

What kind of RV is This? IS the Black tank full?

Thanks, RJ

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Its a Holiday Rambler Presidential Fifth Wheel . . .we have drained the black tank and when we check the tank level the light next to the 1/3 mark is lit up . . .

Husband isn't being to helpful . . he's pretty much asleep on the couch . . . so it's just me and you ..

Please help
Expert:  Robert replied 6 years ago.

OK

SO it appears the tank IS not full. Can you tell me the manufacturer of the toilet and model, sometimes this is right on the toilet, this would be helpful, it sounds as though the valve in the toilet is not opening and there are some different setups.

Thanks, RJ

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Valve . . do you mean the part that opens in the bowl when you flush . .???    because that opens . . there is just no water going down.   . . it's a sealand domestic
Expert:  Robert replied 6 years ago.

WOW

OK so you are saying the valve opens up in the toilet and it is not going down at all? OR the toilet is not filling with water?? Do you feel your tank indicators work?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes the valve opens up in the toilet . . but nothing goes anywhere . . it just starts filling with more water. we have never had a problem with our indicators . . .
Expert:  Robert replied 6 years ago.

OK

There is a chance the piping from the toilet to the tank is clogged. The valve opening should allow the water to drain. You can try to get some liquid soap, pour some in and get a large amount of ice to push the blockage through, the bad thing is you may have to take some water out before putting the ice in or it will make a mess. The other option is to try to plunge it out. If this is an electric toilet the power will have to be disconnected while the valve is in the open position. IF this is not a electric toilet,you can shut the water pump off and step on the pedal and try to plunge. The distance from the toilet to the tank should not be that far so the ice may do the trick.

Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience: 18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok I tried the soap and ice thing . . . no luck .. . I even got my husband up with the idea that he might be able to use his "office" before he goes to bed and we tried to plunge . . . we checked to make sure all the tank were open . . . still nothing . . .
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
do you think if we let it sit over night it will break up and pass? that is if it is just a clog?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok so my husband got clever and took a metal hanger and stuck it down . . . we could almost get the entire hanger(straightened out) down the toilet . . . so I am thinking the clog(if that is what it is) must be deeper?
Expert:  Robert replied 6 years ago.

OK

The only other idea I have is to hook up a garden hose and with the valve open put it down in there and turn it on. I must tell you this is pretty odd. By any chance do you have two bathrooms? The reason being sometimes a macerator pump is installed that helps chew things up, normally they are used in a dual bathroom set up. I would verify in your plumbing bay you can see the plumbing from the toilet into the tank. The only other issue would be if your tank really is full, and your indicator was giving a false reading..... You Could try overnight to let the soap and ice work but you will need to leave the valve open. Please let me know what happens, things are hard to fix without seeing them in person, Oh one other thing Monaco coach who makes holiday rambler has a excellent technical support line, you may want to try to see what they think. I am not sure if they are available over the weekend, if you do call make sure to have your Vin and unit number ready to give them.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no there is only one bathroom. I am going to just wait til morning . . . see if the ice and soap breaks it up . . . we have restrooms on site to use til morning . . . if not I can get on the phone (me being the patient one) and handle it tomorrow with Monaco Coach when the hubby heads to work . . . thank you so much for your help . . . and we are going to leave the valve propped open all night too see what it looks like in the morning.

I doubt it's full . . last time we emptied it really dumped . . and it wasnt even completely full this time but we thought we should dump it.

Thank you for your help!!!!