Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I find the cause of my RV tripping the circuit breaker when I plug it

How can I find the cause of my RV tripping the circuit breaker when I plug it in?
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 8 years ago.

Hi There!

Thanks for Choosing Just Answer.

Who is the Manufacturer of the RV?

Which circuit breaker is tripping?

Do you have a generator?

Thanks....

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Fleetwood Southwind
Any I plug into at campgrounds or at home.
Yes it has a generator
Expert:  Robert replied 8 years ago.

OK

This may be difficult to troubleshoot. First off when you run the generator will it trip any breakers with the coach unplugged? Which breaker is tripping? Do you have an Inverter or Converter? Have you checked anything yet?

Thanks....

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I can't answer as the generator will not start. No breakers are tripping in the RV. the one tripping is whatever I plug into. If I put a multimeter across ground and neutral or hot there is no resistance
Expert:  Robert replied 8 years ago.

OK

This is what I would try. Turn off all the breakers inside the coach except for the Main breaker. The reason being if you have a shorted out heating element say in the hot water heater it could cause the breaker to trip right away. If it does not trip with the main breaker on then start turning them on one at a time, if the breaker on the outside trips you know which circuit is having the issue. If the breaker is still tripping it could be an issue with your cord, transfer switch or Inverter converter. I would with the coach unplugged follow your shore cord and inspect the wiring coming into the coach, make sure everything looks in order (no melted wires or rubbing wires). This may have to be looked at by a shop for more in depth testing.

Thank You! Please hit ACCEPT for my efforts, Positive feedback and BONUs welcomed!!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to RV help for u's Post: With my multimeter set to conductivity couldn't i just go from ground to each circuit to isolate them.
Expert:  Robert replied 8 years ago.

There is a way to check each breaker.

DISCONNECT all power (shore cord and inverter)

Check for continuity through the breaker.

Disconnect black wire from the load side of breaker.

No continuity...replace breaker.

Thank You! Please hit ACCEPT for my efforts, Positive feedback and BONUS welcomed!