Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

how do you install marble tile in a fifth wheel trailer and ...

how do you install marble tile in a fifth wheel trailer and prevent i from popping up or cracking from drive it down the road?
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 6 years ago.

Hi There!

Thanks For Choosing Just Answer!

IS all this marble going to be pre-made ready to install?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to RV help for u's Post: Not sure what you mean by " premade", but it is 12"x12" square tile. Also not sure if it is marble or granite tile. Sorry for the trouble>
Expert:  Robert replied 6 years ago.

OK

Is this being installed on the floor or on a counter top?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to RV help for u's Post: On the floor.
Expert:  Robert replied 6 years ago.

OK

Normally when marble or granite is installed it gets put in piece by piece using grout and the masking that secures it to the floor. I have also seen and installed it pre-made like what you are getting. Allot of times they will leave extra backard board to screw the marble or granite to the floor. So they make it on a large piece of wood and leave enough so you can secure it with wood screws to the floor. If it is NOT made this way I would suggest using clear silicone under the marble or granite. Just make sure the floor is clean and runs several beads of the clear silicone under the marble/granite. If this is confusing let me know and maybe I can explain it more.

Thank You! Please hit ACCEPT for my efforts, Positive feedback and BONUS welcomed!!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If you where to secure it to a clean floor by using clear silicone then what would you use for the grout? I'm thinking that the grout might crack or pop out with the vibration and bump of the ride
Expert:  Robert replied 6 years ago.

OK

If this is one huge piece that is already grouted they make a clear sealer to put over the grout to prevent it from cracking, this is the final process in laying tile. The grouting procedure is important and adding the sealer will prevent it from cracking. After time yes you will start to get hairline cracks in the grout.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to RV help for u's Post: Is it possible to get a colored type of caulk that could be used in it's place that might be more plyable ?
Expert:  Robert replied 6 years ago.

No I would not use the color caulk. My experience is it gets very dirty and if the grout is done correctly with the sealer it is not a issue and will last longer.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK. How do you keep the spacing of the tile the same? What is the best way to get the carpet up from under the tip-outs so you can place the tile under the tip out floor?
Expert:  Robert replied 6 years ago.
What kind of unit is this, I can look at a picture online and have a better idea. They make spacers you put in when setting the tile, I am sure home depot will have these....
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
2005 keystone Montana 3400RL
Expert:  Robert replied 6 years ago.

That's one nice unit four slides, like it.

The Carpet under the slide rooms can come out. They either used tack strip or stapled it directly to the floor. I would start in one corner and get it started you should be able to pull the carpet on an angle, it will take some strength but it will come out. You can get a long flat head screw driver to pry up under the carpet to get it started. If there is tack strip be careful the stuff is very sharp.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How could you replace the carpet on the slides or what would you recommend? I'm really sorry to be taking so much of your time! I just want to be sure I have the answers I need before I get started. Thanks
Expert:  Robert replied 6 years ago.

The slide room carpet is piece of cake. Get your carpet pre-cut. You can pull the carpet out of the slide room and use it as a template. When you do cut it leave a 1/2" extra so it can be mended, you will have to call around to see who can do the mending. There is no way I would put tile in the slide rooms because of the weight it will create a night mare.

Thank You! Please hit ACCEPT for my efforts Positive feedback and BONUS welcomed!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What do you mean by "mended"
Expert:  Robert replied 6 years ago.
Mended is so the carpet has a nice looking edge, it will have a piece sewed to it so the carpet will not frey or come apart.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK,sounds great!Thanks again for all of your information. You've been very helpful. Wish me luck!
Expert:  Robert replied 6 years ago.

OK you will be fine.

If I helped you In anyway Please hit ACCEPT for my efforts, Positive feedback and BONUS welcomed!

Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience: 18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.