Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

how to remove a slide out so i can replace the floor under it?

No Comment Added
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 6 years ago.

Hi There!

What kind of RV is this Year, Make, Model?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks for the quick reply,
It is a 1999 36ft. rexhall aerbus w a double slide on a ford f53 chassi.
Expert:  Robert replied 6 years ago.

Is this living room drivers ar passenger side? Do you know if this is hwh operated, Power gear?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
driver side and it is hydraulic driven
Expert:  Robert replied 6 years ago.

OK

This is a HUGE job to remove the room typically this is 20 to 30 hour job in the shop. If you wish I can tell you my experience in removing them.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
well unless you know of a better way to replace a floor that has dryrot, then tell me!
Expert:  Robert replied 6 years ago.
Do You have rams that run the room out? You said hydrulic do you know the manufacturer?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm guessing they are hydraulic, the pump for the level jacks must be running for the slide to move.
You will have to bear w/me for not knowing too much about this rv I just recently got it in a lien sale from my auto repair shop.
so to directly answer your question about what the manf. is No I dont but if it is import. I can find out tomorrow when it is daylight out side.
There is no way just to slide it out just about an extra 6 in. so i could get under it to replace the wood under it?
Expert:  Robert replied 6 years ago.
I just looked at a picture of one it does look like it has HWH rams. When you inspected for dry root did you remove everything out of the room? How extensive is the dry rot?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is along story but to make it short this Rv sat at dudes house for a year w/ two side windows broken out and the overhead vent broken off. so the mdf they use on the floor is pretty soft in several spots. I pulled the carpet up and right under the vent it is soft enough to dig a hole through it w/ my hand. By the driver side door rt by the edge of the frnt slide it is the same and rt next to closet the same. you may be asking your self what would anyone want w/ this much work well i only had to pay around $500.00 . It only has 14k miles on it and really the rest of it is in good shape. so I would say that the floor is in real poor shape but i guess i could cut rt next to the slide and glass the seam if it is way tooooo much work to remove the slide. I also own a auto repair shop and have endless acess to heavy equiptment and tools.
Expert:  Robert replied 6 years ago.

Ok That might not be a bad idea. I have replaced sections of slide room floors. Allot of times you can just cut them out. The room is allot of work The Awning if it still has one has to be removed and there is a certain procedure to take the tension off them. If you can figure out how to brake the room free you have to relieve the hydraulics Via the solenoid valves. We have always used a fork lift to remove them. I have also used tyranny jacks one on each side. If you do attempt this cut the breakers for the coach, I am sure there is 110V and 12V running through the floor.

In spots that are not soft you can use kilz on the floor, Stuff works great. If you do decide to pull the room and run into a snag let me know. Yeah I guess you got a smokin deal on That!

Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience: 18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how far out will these awning typically go past the full extention of the slide?

The slide is NOT where the rot is at, it is in the main(lower) floor.

When the slide is fully retracted isn't the awning spring at rest or just about at rest?

At the end of the guides, under the slide frame work ther is two BIG bolts that are holding these two componets in alignment couldn't I remove these bolts block up the slide frame work to the top of the guide use my fork lift and pull it out a foot or so futher than normal and let it rest there fix the floor and then push it back in then reattach these two bolts, or is there alot more to it than that, besides the awning???
Expert:  Robert replied 6 years ago.
OK understand about the floor. The spring for the awning will always have tension on the spring. I do believe there is more then the two bolts, they adjust your room up and down. I can make a call tommorow I have a good connection with hwh.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
when will you let me know what hwh says?
Expert:  Robert replied 6 years ago.

Ok

I talked to them. There is no way to just extend the room, However if you look underneath by each silver ram it can be disconnected by removing 4 bolts on each side. So you do not have to worry about the hydrulics. You do need to look at what the coach manufacturer has going through the slide room, 110v 12 v plumbing etc.

Thank You Please hit ACCEPT for my efforts, Positive feedback and BONUS welcomed!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what about getting this thing realigned ?
Expert:  Robert replied 6 years ago.

Take a white paint pen and make all your markings. It seems to be easier on your unit to remove the room after talking to hwh. Just be carefully and make sure all your wiring and plumbing is dis-connected.

Thank You! Please hit Accept for my efforts. Positive feedback and BONUS welcomed!

Expert:  Robert replied 6 years ago.

Hi again.

I talked to another expert he felt you may be able to slide the room out far enough for the repairs.if it is an older hwh room you can extend room out past side of coach to reach the edge of the main floor.
If thier are two aluminum tubes under room you can build blocks out of 2 by 4's to set at inside edge of floor on the tubes to support floor edge. Then take the outside 15/16 nut off each hydraulic ram located inside of each aluminum tube. with everything cleared away from the inside edge of room. you would still have to remove the awning but you should be able to slide the room out far enough to replace as much of the main floor as needed. Hope this is Helpful.