350matt
350matt, Engineer
Experience:  Beng Hons Engineering degree, 20 yrs of expierience in the Auto industry half of that in F1
12772297

I have a Renault clio 1.5 diesel. couple of years it has

Customer Question

Hi I have a Renault clio 1.5 diesel. For a couple of years it has flashed up ' check injection' every once in a while and I have felt a loss of power, usually when driving on the motorway. It always came back and there were other expensive problems to repair so I left it. Now it flashes up injector fault and a stop light comes on. This is only briefly and I feel no loss of power, usually happens when trying to accelerate away, as I would expect. I took it to a garage recently because it now has trouble starting. They replaced the fuel filter but this not solved the problem. They tell me that I am looking at a bill of £2000 to replace the injectors and pump. I have a couple of questions really:
JA: Has the filter ever been replaced? How has the car been running lately?
Customer: No not to my knowledge
JA: What is the model/year of your Renault?
Customer: The car runs okay Once started
JA: What year is your Renault?
Customer: 2006 diesel 1.6 dynanique
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I wouldn't know how to fix it myself
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: As explained above I had the fuel filter replaced
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Renault Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Renault
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
To finish my actual question,
1. What is the likelihood that if the fuel injectors and pump are replaced, the problem will be solved?
2. Could this be indicative of any wider failures?
3. Is £2000 a reasonable figure for a garage to charge me?
Expert:  350matt replied 5 months ago.

Hello

the price of £2000 for new injectors and pump is reasonable as injectors are about £120 each ( 500) and a pump is about £1000 then its several hours to remove a refit all the parts and code up the injectors

however there's a couple of things to check 1st before replacing the entire fuel system

If they remove an injector and find lots of little metal fragments nestling in the injector top then this would be a reason to replace everything as it means the main pump has picked up and pumped metal into everything

but if this is OK I'd get a pressure gauge onto the fuel rail after the pump to confirm if its not producing the fuel pressure its meant to - if its low then yes the pump will need replacing

but as you have no loss of power then I'd check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay so it could be a few different things and I should check first before replacing it all? Problem is the car is not worth that much so it's a big decision for me.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I had the cam belt changed last year, have had some clutch fluid piping replaced, had the brake plates and pads redone and the clutch still seems to have life in it - moves off in first gear with no acceleration. Is there anything else major and costly that could go wrong? A bit of an impossible question I appreciate but I am worried that if I spend loads fixing it it could just go wrong again.
Expert:  350matt replied 5 months ago.

hello

if the milage is now getting on a bit ( over 100K) and you're not especially attached to the car then it may now be wise to consider replacing it as if it does need a new pump & injectors then this would probably work out more than the car is worth

if the milage is over the 100K mark then its likely that the front struts may also need replacing ( £300 each side) and also other small bushes etc

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay thank you that help, I think it may be curtains for the car then as it's definitely not worth 2k. Is there any way of telling if the struts are likely to go or is it a sudden event?
Expert:  350matt replied 5 months ago.

Hello

You can check the struts if you bounce the car hard on each corner it should return to equilibrium within 1 bounce

To feel if there's a worn strut top bearing then lightly hold the spring by hand and have your assistant move the steering from left to right with the wheel on the ground - a worn bearing will feel 'notchy' through the spring. The wheel needs to be on the ground for the test to load up the bearing

Expert:  350matt replied 5 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you