Mike, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years of vehicle repair / diagnostics
9261905

renault master: hi just been looking at your renault master

hi just been looking at your renault master i have one a ambulance parked it up 2 years ago now just wont start it runs on easy start lol how can i hard wire the imobiliser its doing my nut just fitted bypass chip and and still that red light stays on. is there any other bypass. that thing on back of stop start solinoid do they sieze up in off possition
Category: Renault
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Mike :

Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

Mike :

My name is MIKE, Im happy to help you with this..

Mike :

Im not entirely sure what you mean when you say " Just been looking at your Renault Master"... but I understand you have one that will not run... Will it start and run at all - or does it just crank?

Customer:

it just cranks

Customer:

it only runs on easy start thers diesil out of injectors but seems low presure

Mike :

Ah hello there...

Mike :

Ok - so it will def run on easy start yes - until thats used up?

Customer:

thats it luvs it lol

Customer:

the stop start solinoid gets very warm is that normal

Mike :

Right Im with you .. In that case.. its not an immobilser fault else it wouldn't run on easy start at all -- The stop solonoind - have you checked its got power to it ?

Mike :

yes it is - #

Customer:

yup its got power but the thing its trying to move seems very tight like a rod goig to shaft

Mike :

Does it have battery voltage - at least 12v ?

Customer:

yes

Mike :

Ok - have you tried to start the engine with the "Innards" of the stop valve removed?

Customer:

yes i removed pin

Mike :

You need to remove the pin and spring then refit the valve -and try it... ( you dont have to remove the spring but its best ) ... are you saying you have essentially done that -and no change?

Customer:

i have picture of pump shall i send it

Mike :

You can do by all means - you need to do that by using the paper clip icon above. But basically, if it wont run even with the stop solonoid out - then it sounds like you have a diesel supply issue - it can be as simple as a clogging filter-

Customer:

Full Size Image

Mike :

Ok I have that - give me a mo-

Mike :

right so you have the pump off... did you check the timing was all ok before hand ?

Customer:

no m8 is a second hand pump to get a solinoid part

Customer:

is there a electric pump in the tank on those renault masters

Mike :

Ah ok ;)

Mike :

Now that is a good question and one that I cannot be sure of tbh.. SOME of these did - others didnt' - the only way to be sure is to give a Renault part dept a call - give them the VIN of the vehilce and they can then tell you if it has or not. But you could bypass the tank / pump filter etc - and supply a gravity feed to the pump - and see if that helps to ID the fault. You do need to be sure its not a restriction or pump issue of course - thats the best way other than using diag equipment -

Mike :

But to - a common fault on these is the crank sensor...playing up - be aware of that .

Mike :

I would suggest check it as above and work through like that ... Itd def not an immob issue though from what you havew said - and with it being stood - the fuel supply and crank sensor are your suspects.

Customer:

ok i will try a new filter and gravity feed it crank sensor ok where do find that do i find that how do i test it

Customer:

so the red light on dash staying on just ignore that ?

Mike :

Indeed. The crank sensor is on the very top of the gearbox where it abuts the engine - held by 2 bolts ( 10mm).. move pipes / wires to see / get at it.. To be honest - testing it you need a meter ( or a diag machine - plug in machine which is best )... but check the actual connection to it as a common fault - Remove the sensor and clean with a piece of emery paper or such like - the magnetic pick up - they get corroded and full of metal bits - enough to stop it starting... then refit and retry .

Customer:

ok will try these jobs in morning

Mike :

No problem at all - Im very glad to have helped... I have switched the rating system on for you - please do click on the Ok / Excellent ratings for me now before you leave...and if you do need to get back to me at all - you can then do so anytime at all - just come back to this here - type further and I wlll then be notified of any response from you and will get back to you. Im always happy to help further if needed... Im here every day !

Mike, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 34 years of vehicle repair / diagnostics