Mike, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years of vehicle repair / diagnostics
9261905

Renault Trafic: Im having problems with my 55 plate trafic

I'm having problems with my 55 plate trafic - have owned it for two years, not had any problems at all until last week - When I got in the service light was on and the oil gauge that comes up when you start the engine was flashing. I drove carefully home with the service light on and tried it when I got home and all was well. The next morning the gauges all appreared but now the van has refused to start! Lleft it for two days and then it started but the engine would only accelerate slowly and only run normally above 2500 revs. I have fiddled about a bit, bought a new throttle assembly of ebay and now it won't start agin! (is this coded to the vehicle?)
Am in the process of changing the fuel filter because the priming bulb is not rock hard and you can see air bubbles in the fuel feed pipe. It turns over fine but won't start! Any ideas?
Category: Renault
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Mike :

Hello and Welccome to justanswer..

Mike :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this -

Mike :

Can you give me the vans Full reg number so that I can just check on the systems your one has....

Mike :

Plus - have you had any plug in tests done at all / diagnostic tests ? and if so, with what results?

Mike :

When you come back on line, type your reply here... When I receive it, I will get back to you asap thereafter - Kind Rgds, MIKE........................

Customer:

the reg is YP55 WWN I've plugged in my scanner and it says "no faults stored in module!" BTW I also checked the level of the oil when the gauge strted flashing and it was fine. We drove back through really wet roads as well. Am just about to install a new fuel filter so will let you know how I get on.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Kevin..

I checked back several times but you were not on line so I have switched us out of the CHAT system to QA...

So yes, get back to me - let me know how you have gone on meantime..

Best Rgds , MIKE.........................................
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mike - I have now changed the diesel filter - it took some time to bleed the system but now it seems ok. Still no sign of life from the engine! It turns over fine but won't fire. I've tried to test power to the injectors (there's definitely diesel there) with my multimeter but can't work out how to do it. I've checked all the fuses and they are fine. I pump up the hand primer until it is hard but after the engine turns over it goes flat again. After cranking the engine there is a crackling noise coming from what seems to be a pump of some description attached by a rubber grommet to the main fuse box in the engine compartment. Is that normal? What is this module? It has two rubber pipes running off the bottom of it. Have checked the trouble codes again but it says no codes are stored.

How do I check if a sensor has failed? Is there an easy way?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Kevin... Thank you for your reply / message -

My apologies for the delay as I had to be unexpectedly away this weekend....

You cant do that with the injectors Kevin - not on this engine , they are Ecu controlled - in fact, you shouldn't do such as with a MM you can back feed the system and blow the ecu ! ( it has been done ! )

Ok - lets just go back a bit Kev -

Whats the mileage on this?

Has it has a timing belt recently?

Rgds. MIKE.................................
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It has 110 k on the clock and the belt was done two years ago when I bought it at 96K or thereabouts.... It has run faultlessly since then!

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that Kevin...

The problem you have here Kevin is you need plug in diagnostic equipment to progress here...

These engines / systems suffer from several known issues - from crank pulley key way failures, meaning the timing "shifts" - and that will causes what you have...to, injector / fuel pump to injector failures - with many wiring issues in between...

Top explain a little more, I note you say there is diesel there - but you should never open the system to "test" it, the pressures on the fuel system on this model is extremely high - and mis handling can in fact be fatal..

I mentioned injector troubles - this is very common on these - if for example just one injector is faulty internally, it means the system wont / cant attain full pressure - the control ecu sees this -and wont allow the engine to start. Likewise with pump / sensor issues -

So you really are going to need to be using proper test equipment on this - The fuel pressure is generally the first to test ( with the equipment ) and a leak off test can be done ( again using the proper kit for this ) to ascertain any injector issues.

About all you can do without such equipment is check the valve / belt timing in case the said issue has occurred above - but even that needs an engine timing / locking kit to check that ...

So Im afraid without the equipment as mentioned, you have really gone as far as you can Kevin - it starts costing you in time and money if you now just start replacing parts etc hoping to hit on the fault - so all things considered now, I have to advise that that is your next move on this one.

If you have a local good mobile mechanic with the equipment as above, at least starting with general plug in tests and then progressing from there - that would save you taking it to a garage etc..... but you do need the use of the equipment now Kevin to make proper progress with this..

If you do that and get any readings you need help with - or anything at all, do let me know - Im always happy to help where I can.....

By all means get back to me if you need ..

Meantime -- Please click on the OK service ( or higher ) rating for me at this point now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control - Thank you .
Mike, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 34 years of vehicle repair / diagnostics