Mike, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years of vehicle repair / diagnostics
9261905

Renault Laguna: I cannot open the boot on my Renault Laguna

I cannot open the boot on my Renault Laguna estate. The buttons have no effect on the latches for either the boot door or the boot window. All other doors work OK.
Category: Renault
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

Mike :

Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

Mike :

I take it neither the interior button nor the remote works ?

Mike :

Please tell me what you have tried so far... Too, Please give me the Full reg number of your Renault - When you come back on the system , please type your reply here... When I receive it, I will get back to you asap thereafter - Kind Rgds, MIKE.....................................

Customer:

I have tried locking and unlocking the doors several time with both the remote key and the internal button, opening and closing all doors except, of course, the boot. The car has been driven about 150mls since the problem was first discovered.

Customer:

The registration is NU52 CBF

Customer:

The number plate lights are working

Customer:

The rear windscreen wiper does not work

Mike :

Hello again, thank you for your reply...and info..

Mike, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 34 years of vehicle repair / diagnostics
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Richard , thank you for your reply -

I switched us out of the CHAT system as you are not on line currently.

Ok, there is a common fault or two with this model - usually its the switch that needs replacing in the boot - the contacts corrode and it has to be replaced. The other fault you get is the wiring breaks where it comes through into the boot, that will have to be checked also... this can account for different items not working at the rear of the car - but check the earth connectors too - another known fault. Earthing faults can cause different circuits to fail. Check as above -though you may find the rear wiper motor itself has failed, they do fail prematurely - but of course you need to validate this / check the circuits .

As to how to get the boot open to deal with these faults, you have to remove the inner panel cover - You need to get through into the back of the car past the back seats... best to have a lamp with you .. Once the panel is off - you will see the lock latch mechanism clearly - simply use a screwdriver to unlatch the latch and the boot will open. WIth the boot open its then easer to check out / trace the faults and repair as above.

If it does need a new lock, they are about the £40,00 mark from a Renault parts dept.. Again, that is the usual cause but visual / physical checks will find the causes for you as above..so thats the way forward to cure this for you now.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX above all helps you and helps with the understanding of the problem you have -and what needs to be done to cure this ...

Kind Rgds, MIKE.

Ratings Etc - Please Read :

Please feel free to get back to me if you need / wish to discuss this more ..( I will always get back to you as soon as I receive any reply you may send .. To reply to me, use the "reply to expert" tab or link... . Meantime, please do rate the answer I have given for you with the OK service or higher... for which I thank you in advance... as thats how Im credited for helping you ..

Again - feel free to get back to me at any time ...even if you need more help as time goes on - clicking the rating as above does not close you out.. Thank you again...

Regards, MIKE.

~~~ Please note you are rating my help / my answer --- not the "system" ..which can sometimes have delays / problems etc.. Thank You kindly..

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have now managed to get in the boot and a faulty switch was the problem. A short circuit in the switch caused by water corrosion. This not only stop unlocking the boot but also must have shorted the connection to the window, etc.

Cleaning the switch did the trick, now OK

Thanks

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi again Richard..

Thank you for your reply / message -

Im very glad you got it all sorted - thats a result - excellent work !

You know where I am if there is ever anything else - you are welcome..

~~~~~ Please do click on the OK service rating for me now ( or above ) ... as thats important to me.. Thank you kindly.

Best Rgds, MIKE.