Mobilemick
Mobilemick, Technician
Experience:  Mobile auto electrician over 20 yrs experience
11319957

Renault Laguna 2: Immobiliser problem.

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Renault Laguna 2 3.0L V6 estate. The keycard locks and unlocks the car fine, but when inserted into the card reader, dashboard displays 'Insert Card', and the immobiliser light stays on. I have had the keycard repaired, but still no change. I have also had a new UCH and fuse box fitted as they were water damaged when the sunroof drain holes were blocked. All the electrics work when the keycard is in the reader. The only other thing that I have noticed is that the steering lock is not engaged. I have a spare card reader which I tried, but still the same result. I would love to get the car back on the road, as it is too good to scrap. Regards, Chris.
Category: Renault
Expert:  Michelle-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Yes I am still waiting for an answer.
Expert:  Danielle-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Sometimes, finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.
Expert:  Mobilemick replied 2 years ago.
Check the ECU isnt full of water, and the wiring loom, make sure none of the wires are corroded.
If you put it onto renault clip diagnostics, do you get communications with everything .?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is no communication with my diagnostic tool. It can't power up because it is locked out. Before this problem occured, it would communicate with the car when the keycard was inserted to the reader. The steering lock would dissengage, and the car would be primed for starting. Similar to turning a traditional ignition key to position one on other cars. The UCH was water damaged and had to be replaced with a new one, which was supplied and programmed by chipgods.com. I checked the ECU, which is located under the battery tray in the engine bay. There is no sign of water ingress on the ECU, or the surrounding area. I can't find any evidence of water or corrosion in the wiring loom around the UCH or ECU. All the electrics work on the car when the key is inserted, but the display still reads 'Insert Card', and the red immobiliser light changes from flashing to constant. The only thing that isn't working is the steering lock. This should engage when the card is removed, and the reverse when inserted. Hope this info is of some help. Would love to get it on the road again as it is far too good to break or scrap.
Without looking at the vehicle,im out of ideas, normally the red light on solid is a communication fault, you should still get comms, even though the ignition doesn`t come on.

Best tool for this job is renault clip, after market tools dont work too well on Renaults.