Mike, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years of vehicle repair / diagnostics
9261905

renault: wont start..central locking doesnt work from the key..relay

My renault megane scenic 1.9 dci won't start. I changed the battery and now the central locking doesn't work from the key or the button and the locking button doesn't seem to have power. Is there a fuse or relay that deals with this?
Category: Renault
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

Mike :

Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

Mike :

Can you give me more info on this - why the non start etc ? why the battery change and so on -

Mike :

I see you are not on system at the moment - please type your reply here...plus any other info you may have since posting your question - When I receive it - I will get back to you asap thereafter... Please also give me its Full reg ... Kind Rgds, MIKE.................................

Customer: Hi mike.
Customer: We have not used the car for a while and were just about to get it to its mot so decided to fully charge the battery as we'd started it a few times without driving anywhere.When we put the other battery on the problem began and putting the old battery on makes no difference
Customer: Sorry, reg is re52nlr
Customer: Hi mike.I have to go out for an hour but will be back 9.45. Hope that will be convenient for you. Thanks
Mike :

Hi again... thats fine yes - I have just had your reply as above - I will get back to you later then -

Mike :

Hello again -

Mike :

I dont know if you are back as yet - but info for you is as follows :

Customer: Hi mike. I am back if you are around
Mike :

ah hi there..

Mike :

I was due off a while ago but did say I would wait for you so - I was either going to speak if you were here..or leave you info..

Mike :

The usual problem with what you describe is, either bad connections on the battery - or, bad wiring to the connectors / on them on these models...

Customer: How can I check for that?
Mike :

The other issue with these - when changing batteries etc , is that its common for the earthing cable / connections to get disturbed and cause your problems - so you need to check all that very carefully -

Mike :

Its a case of literally checking them, physically / visually - pull at them - see if the wires are loose inside the connectors..

Mike :

do the same with the wires where they enter the connectors.

Mike :

Do the same with the earth cables / connectors - and where it adjoins to the body -and then to the transmission.

Customer: Is there a time you are on tomorrow? It is toodark outide to check that tonight but it sounds hopeful
Mike :

I assume the immob light is on -

Mike :

Yes, Im on tomorrow - difficult to say exactly when tomorrow - as Im not meant to be - but can be ;;)

Mike :

I will always get back to you as / if needed.

Customer: Thank you. Very good to have some ideas as hoping to take it to mot soon. What does immob light look like?
Mike :

ok -sorry - when you try to start the engine - exactly what is happening? does the engine crank / turn?

Customer: It is turning ovrr good and fast like its going to fire up, but it doesn't fire up.
Mike :

Okay right - when you crank the engine you need to look on the dash to see if you have any flashing light -or if your model has the interior central locking button with an led on it, see if thats flashing -if either is, then its an immobilser issue. What you need to do then is jsut close all the doors - manually lock the doors and then retry.

Mike :

Youve checked the fuses for the locking yes?

Customer: If they are on the fuses under dash then yes and all were fine. The central locking button in the car doesn't do anything Neither does the key
Mike :

Ok - whats the full reg number of the car?

Mike :

I'll just check on the fuses for you -

Customer: Re52nlr
Mike :

ok- give me a mo...

Mike :

ok -under the dash -

Mike :

there is a fuse box with only 6 fuses in - the central locking fuse is fuse number 3..

Mike :

should be a 20 amp.

Customer: Am running outside now!
Mike :

oh right ok ;)

Mike :

its drivers side -

Mike :

theres a large one - with about 20+ then a small one as above

Mike :

actually to be more precise, you may have to remove the lower cowls because this fuse strip is a part of one of the multifunction units - so you may have to carry on tomorrow -

Customer: Fuse is fine.
Mike :

ah you found the one ok ?

Customer: Yes. Had put volmeter
Mike :

do you have more than one fob to try as well?

Customer: Across all of them earlier
Mike :

ok -

Mike :

(so long as you checked the right fuse)

Mike :

There is a relay for the cdl system - that is above the fuse boxes on the same side / area too..

Mike :

This can be a failure of the control module - above the fuse box on the same side / area - sometimes they get rain water in them - other timers they do just fail.

Customer: Only one key but as button inside car does not work can't over ride immobiliser. Anyway will let you give up for the eve and check battery wires connectors in morning and get back to you
Mike :

Ok - just one other before I go -

Mike :

as you said its spinning on the key - Its doubtful its the battery wires etc..

Mike :

what I suggest you do is,

Customer: Can you test relay with voltmeter or do you just have to change it?
Mike :

up under the dash - the multifinction unit I mentioned above - unplug it for 5 mins.. then re plug it in.. then try it.

Customer: Will do in the morning. Thanks good night
Mike :

Thats fine - Im sorry, my system locked up and I couldnt reply to you !

Mike :

So do that as above re the disconnect / reconnect of the multi unit -and let me know - get back to me let me know how you are getting on and we can carry on as needed... Rgds, MIKE.

Customer: Hi mike. We've tried the above but nothing.Any time that is good for you today?
Mike :

Hello again -

Mike :

Its difficult to tie to a time - Im here a lot but you missed me earlier Im afraid -

Mike :

I was re reading through your situation - if the engine is spinning fine then that would tend to rule out connection troubles etc -

Mike :

A common fault on these is a failing cranl sensor - (mounted on the top of the gearbox where it abuts the engine - ) this is a very common issue -but the link here, common denominator really is the locking issues as that is combind with the immobilser - given that, its more likely that this is an immobilsr issue - Again, you should have the immob light flashing if thats the case when you crank the engine - but - if its not...not working at all, then there is every chance the immobilser unit is playing up -and for that - Im afraid if the unplugging and plugging in again of the module as mentioned above didnt work, then its going to have to have plug in diagnostic machine on it - to determine the fault for sure and then fix it from there..

Mike :

There is very little else you can do in this case. You can try disc / and re connecting the battery - but as you do that - try this one last thing. Take the terminals off the battery - and touch them together - The battery lead terminals - not the battery .. and hold for 30 secs - then re connect to the battery and retry. This is a reboot procedure for the module. Hopefully that will work for you - it does often - but if you have a complete failure which has then just happened as they do, then Im afraid you need the diags doing as above .. A lot of smaller garages have this equipment - but if you dont have one near you , you would have to use a Ren dealer Im sad to say !

Mike :

SO double check on the things first we mentioned - fuses / relays etc..first... and then go from there as above...

Mike :

I'm very pleased to have helped you futher....- .. let me know if I can help anymore - you can get back to me anytime -

Meantime >>> Please click the Accept for me Now - Thank You ...

Please note , you need to press the Accept button even if you are a subscriber to justanswer - thank you .

Kind Rgds - MIKE

Customer: Thanks mike. At least now I feel like we've tried all we can. Now I think its time to have it towed to the garage for the diagnostics. We appreciate all your advice. Kind regards XXXXX XXXXX Alethea
Mike, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 34 years of vehicle repair / diagnostics