Mike, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years of vehicle repair / diagnostics
9261905

Renault Master dci 120: renault master van 6 speed manual box.

renault master van 6 speed manual box. sometimes very stiff to change gear, then ok for a while, but slowly getting more difficult to change gear. checked cables they are ok. problem seems to be internal. any common problems here?

Michael Dixon
Category: Renault
Expert:  al-mod replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I’m a Moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have had no answer just your response. Thanks

Michael Dixon
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

Im sorry for the wait on your question..

On these models, the usual fault , is indeed with the cables -

I dont know how they have been checked - but to rule them out completely, you need to disconnect one end - transmission end.. then see if the lever is still stiff. If it is, then its either the cables or the linkage at the base of the lever.

If its not , then the cables are at fault. Too - you can try operating the gear change manually - on the trans. You should be able to select gears relatively easy that way... If not, if its very difficult, then it would seem you have an internal problem on the transmission.

Not a really common fault as I say, its normally the cables etc - So do check it as above before doing much else to determine which as at fault.

Im very pleased to have helped you -Let me know if I can help anymore...

Please click the "Accept button" for me now - Thank You ...

Please note , you need to press the Accept button even if you are a subscriber to justanswer - thank you again.

Kind Rgds - MIKE

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The cables are ok, as I said the problem is internal. If you do not know of any internal problems with this transmission then I will investigate myself, Thanks
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello again, thank you for your reply..

Thats fine - I have known people pull the gearbox off and replace it - only to have the same issues again because something was missed - which is what I didnt want happening to you , thats why I went through all that for you .

If you have arrived at that then, thats going to be your next step.

Its not a common issue no.. but what can and does happen on occasion are either selector issues inside the gearbox or sometimes its found that one of the hubs breaks / splits on the transmission assembly causing a general stiffness..

In this case - so long as all else is ruled out for sure - then you will need to strip and inspect to find your exact issue and repair as you find - or replace the gearbox then -whichever you decide then...

Of course I assume the oil has been checked too - -

Im pleased to have helped you - I hope all goes ok for you -

Best Rgds - MIKE..

>>>>>>>>>Please click the "Accept button" for me now - Thank You ...

Kind Rgds - MIKE

Mike, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 34 years of vehicle repair / diagnostics