Mike, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years of vehicle repair / diagnostics
9261905

Renault clio: My 2001 clio started to cut out while driving.

Customer Question

My 2001 clio started to cut out while driving. This morning it would not start, it would fire for a few turns and then stop dead, could you give me an idea as to what might be wrong with it. I am a pensioner and do not know much about cars, hence need advice, dont want to find myself with a large bill from a garage. Thank you
Category: Renault
Expert:  Robert replied 4 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Has there been any warning lights come up on the dash since the fault occured?

Any missfire felt when eventually running?

Has there been any recent work carried out on the car / how many miles does it have?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no warning lights come on, no misfiring, no recent work done on it, it has 78.000 miles.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

I suspect from your symptoms , that you have a faulty CAS - Thats a Crank Shaft Sensor.

This is a common fault on these models - and your symptoms do add up to that.

The CAS is the main trigger for the fuel and ignition system - when it plays up / fails - your engine will do exactly as you have said..

Renault have produced and updated type of this sensor - to combat these issues.. It costs about £50.. or thereabouts... and a local garage - or a mobile garage / mechanic can fit you a new sensor in under 30 mins - so labour should be cheap for you.

Once thats done - all should be fine again.. again - its a common fault on these..

Im very pleased to have helped you -

Please click the Accept button for me - Thank You ...and if you do need / wish to get back to me after - you can do so just by coming back to this post and re use the reply button.

Please note , you need to press the Accept button even if you are a subscriber to justanswer - thank you again.

Kind Rgds - MIKE.