Mike, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years of vehicle repair / diagnostics
9261905

1998 renault: new timing belt, 2 new coil packs..high pitched..firing

hi I got a 1998 renault scenic 1.6 16v mpv and I have a problem starting the car after it has just had a new timing belt, 2 new coil packs and a new water pump. when I turn the key all I get is a high pitched whiring sound as if only the flywheels are spinning but there is no firing happening. can you help please??
Category: Renault
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.

Mike :

Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

Mike :

Can I just ask - why was the belt changed - service renewal - or had it broken?

Customer:

service renewal and just had the car a couple of months

Customer:

service renewal and only had the car a couple of months

Mike :

thank you - Im going to need to ask a few questions you understand to help you properely...

Customer:

ok

Mike :

Who did the belt job for you ?

Customer:

a friend who had the car before us and he repaired the engine before

Customer:

the coil packs needed replacing due to high emissions, mixture out and constant juddering

Mike :

Ok - and did those things cure the judderingf etc?

Mike :

Ok - and did those things cure the juddering etc?

Customer:

im not sure i changed the coils whie waiting for a replacement water pump as the water pump broke while we were tightening up then tension on the belt

Customer:

so cant tell if they are working i know they are brand new coils i had them from ebay sold as new

Mike :

ok no problem - what is the Full reg of the car?

Customer:

i did disconnect the safety cut off before i did the coils

Customer:

S438 VAX

Mike :

Mike :

thank you - give me a min to bring your car up

Customer:

OK

Mike :

ok I have that - do you happen to know the engine code?

Customer:

k7m02

Mike :

excellent - most people have no clue ! Give me a mo

Customer:

i looked it up on the engine so i got the correct parts

Mike :

ok - was the engine turned without the belt tight - ? perhaps when you had the water pump prob.. or at any other time?

Customer:

i did have trouble with the tension before the pump snapped as the tensioner became slack slightly when i took it for a test drive

Customer:

it has been standing for a week since the trouble started

Mike :

Ok- this is important - because if that happened - you may well have bent the valves - it doesnt take much ! Has it been checked for spark and fuel present - fuel up to the engine - and being injected ?

Customer:

it has got a full tank of petrol and plugs were changed about a month ago

Customer:

there is no spark getting to the plugs

Mike :

ah - no spark ... what about fuel...to the engine and being injected... and has the fue cut off switch been checked>

Mike :

?

Customer:

i don't think valves are bent because when i arrived home i turned the engine off waited a couple of minutes then fire it up again and left her running idle to look at the belt

Mike :

ok.. what about the other q.. I asked? ;)

Customer:

the cut off switch hasn't been checked can you tell me where this is located please?

Customer:

there is a safety cut off under the bonnet could that be it?

Mike :

yes - it will have a rubber cap - about 1" in size... if there is no fuel up - press it - it will click if it sbeen activated... Now - no spark?

Customer:

I did press it a number of times but with no luck

Customer:

do you think it has gone?

Mike :

If you have no spark - its not going to run - ever. You need to check the connections to your coil... But - if that ok.. check the connections to the CAS -- Crank sensor. If they are ok - renew the Crank sensor. Common fault -and Renault have introduced a new upgraded type - to cure probems such as you have ;)

Mike :

No I doubt that ... I think as above -

Customer:

the connections are all ok I could try replacing the safety switch

Mike :

no ... because that woudnt cut your spark.

Mike :

If all your connections are ok - it will be a failed CAS as above - extremely common fault on these.. Check the colour even - if its black, its the old style one - New types are blue - and come with a new connector and piece of loom..

Mike :

This is to cure these no spark probems on these. That will be your fault !

Mike :

Did you read the above - the para re the CAS?

Customer:

thank you for this advice I will get that replaced as soon as i can

Mike :

No probem at all - you know where it is ??

Customer:

i'm not sure can you please help me to locate the sensor?

Mike :

No problem - Its fastened to the very top of the transmission casing - where it abutts to the engine - you wi need to move pipes and wires etc - (take air pipe off).. to see / get at it - Its hed by 2 x 10mm bolts - unclip its wire - and undo the bolts and withdraw it - Its failry easy. As I say, Renault supply a new - blue updated type to cure these failing spark issues - the kit is about 50£. when you fit the new one - you have to splice the wires in - do them one at a time so as not to get mixed up (theres only two)

Mike :

If it doesnt spark up first time - swap the wires over ( they are not coded - they are white.. so its easy to get them wrong!)... so dont tape them up until you know it sparks up / starts ;)

Customer:

ok thank you very much

Mike :

No problem at all... Im very pleased to have helped you -

Please click the Accept button for me - Thank You ....and if you do need / wish to get back to me after - you can do so just by coming back to this post and use the Reply button - your reply will then come straight back to me .. and Im always happy to help further....
Please note , you need to press the Accept button even if you are a subscriber to justanswer - thank you again.

Mike :

Please dont forget the accept for me - as thats how I get credited for helping you .. Thank you again. Best Rgds - MIKE

Mike, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 34 years of vehicle repair / diagnostics