Mike, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years of vehicle repair / diagnostics
9261905

Renault: unlock..alarm went..doors wont open

Renault megane 2002. Went to unlock and alarm went off and doors won't open. Help!
Category: Renault
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

This can happen when the cars main battery is low -

You need to use the emergency key access to get into the car - and then you can open the bonnet to check / deal with the battery - replace it or whatever it needs..

To use the emergency key access - slide the metal key out of the key card ( or wherever you have it )..

Go to the passenger side door - on the handle, where other type cars would have a lock barrel - your handle is all one colour .. On the end of the handle, this is actually plastic - a plastic cover - look under neath it and you will see a very small cut out. Use a blade to prise the cover off - which reveals the emergency lock to use your key to open the car and get in in it.

Again once you are in , you can then deal with the battery issue - Use jump leads or otherwise test the battery.

The alarm will go off even if the battery is low ... so do that as above.

If it proves not to be the battery causing the problem, then on this model you wil likely need garage help - but try that first as it is a common issue on this model.

Im very pleased to have helped you -

Please click the Accept button for me now - Thank You ...and if you do need / wish to get back to me after - you can do so just by coming back to this post and use the Reply button - your reply will then come straight back to me .. and Im always happy to help further....

.Kind Rgds to you - MIKE.
Mike, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 34 years of vehicle repair / diagnostics
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It does not have a key - it is a card lock so that does not work
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again -
thank you for your reply.

The key card is for the ignition yes - and has buttons to open the doors.

I mentioned above, to remove the metal part ( which is the manual override key / emergency access key ) from the key card..

Look closely at the key card - on the end of it where it bulges...you pull there - and that pulls the metal emergency access key out..

Then follow the rest as above.

Rgds - MIKE...