Mike, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years of vehicle repair / diagnostics
9261905

Renault: fuel injection system faulty warning..hill..rev..egr valve

Customer Question

renault espace 2003 2.2 dci, fuel injection system faulty warning when engine under stress e.g going up hill, if i use semi auto and change gear manually letting it rev high in each gear the warning does not come on as often but inevitably it does. had new egr valve but no change to symptoms, a restart clears the fault and although it does not go into limp mode there is a noticable loss of boost and power especially when moving off.
Category: Renault
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.

Mike :

Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

Mike :

You need to have a plug in diagnostic test done at a garage as that light is on - This is a fault light for the fuelling / engine management systems - when the light comes on, it inidicates the Ecu -computer, has detected a fault ( the fault you are having ) and will have stored / logged relevent fault codes - When accessed as above, this will show where the fault lies -

Mike :

Without the diagnostic being done, you are only guessing Im afraid - so that is the way forward on this one.. that is the quickest / most cost effective way forward too ...and the only way of getting a difinitive answer as to the wherabouts of the fault - faulty component or whatever it turns out to be... then you can have that sorted.

JACUSTOMER-b6qanhv2- :

hello, the light goes off as soon as the engine is stopped, tried it at a local garage and no faults logged - is there anything in particular that could cause the fault.

Mike :

A lot of smaller garages have test equipment for these as needed - but its best to use dealer or dealer levcel equipment on the Renaults as some equipment either won't work or gives false info misleading the tech.

Mike :

Im very pleased to have helped you -

Please click the Accept button for me now - Thank You ...and if you do need / wish to get back to me after - you can do so just by coming back to this post and use the Reply button - your reply will then come straight back to me .. and Im always happy to help further....

.Kind Rgds to you - MIKE.

JACUSTOMER-b6qanhv2- :

ok, it is sluggish setting off before the fault comes on as well, as soon as the turbo kicks in it is fine, could this be related to the main fuel injection system faulty error.

Mike :

Hi there - sorry the Chat system went awry....

Mike :

It is very difficult,. nigh on impossible to say just which component wise would cause this - there are so many possibilities - thats why the light system is there - I strongly suspect the garage is using generic fault code equipment , which as mentioned above, is why they are struggling with it.. You really do need to use Renault or a different garage that has the correct equipment - otherwise, you end up guessing ..as they are saying it could be this , it could be that - you cant do that Im afraid...it gets very expensive replacing parts that are not faulty.

Mike :

I would doubt its a turbo fault - so far anyway with what you have said - the turbo doesn't come in till around 1800 rpm... Its possible you have an injector issue -but again, it can be as simple as a clogging fuel filter - fuel pump fault - you can see the need for good diagnostics to be done with this one... We have this with Renaults all the time..

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hi again -

I switched us out of the chat system as it wasn't working properly - so I switched us to the Q & A system, this works fine.

However, all the info I have given you is showing above - just scroll up to view that -

If you do need to get back to me - just use the reply button - otherwise, thats the way forward on this one for sure( as above )

I hope that helps you further -

Im very pleased to have helped you -

Please dont forget to click the Accept button for me now - Thank You ...and again, you can always get back to me again later if needed just by re using the reply button again..

Best Rgds to you - MIKE.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hi again -

I hope that helps you further -

Im very pleased to have helped you -

.Best Rgds to you - MIKE.