Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years, master tech. 10+ years, SAE member
30385560

Renault clio my daughters clio RF key suddenly did not lock

Customer Question

my daughters clio RF key suddenly did not lock car, remotely or with key in lock. On investigating inside the key, the micro switch had come off the circuit board.I very carefully with a fine tip soldered switch back onto circuit board, and hey presto red light worked again when pressed and central locking worked again. She is away on holiday, and i have her car on my drive, so i thought i better start it a few days later to make sure battery does get flat. Oh no, car wont start, and immobiliser light wont go off, just flashing. Have looked on net and tried various techniques to re-sync key to immobiliser, but nothing has worked. Any ideas on what has happened to key, as it started car before, even without the central locking working. Am worried i have knackered the key by soldering the micro switch back on, although i was very careful, and have knowledge of soldering. I have to get this sorted before my daughter comes back on saturday, or she wont be able to go to work! I did get an emergency immo code for the car online with the car and key details, and tried to follow how to input this, but not sure if i did this right, as nothing happened. Help!
Category: Renault
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

Billy :

Hello and thank you for using Just answer! I'm Billy and i will assist you with this. Feel free to ask if further info is needed.

Billy :

Although embedded in the same key......the remote locking/unlocking, and the immobilizer system....are two different circuits.....

Billy :

Totally different.....

Billy :

The resync, is used for the remote locking function.

Billy :

On your 2003 model, there is no 4 digit code.......through which you can disable the immobiliser......

Billy :

PS: i'm just getting the facts, so i can save you some time and effort..

Billy :

The only way to reset the immobiliser, would be using a dealer's scan tool (renault CLIP).

Billy :

You can, however, remove the battery cable for a few minutes.....and then refit (be aware that you will need the radio code after refitting)........this might reset the immobiliser system....

Billy :

You can also try starting, using a spare key.....if available...

Billy :

If these do not work, you need to get the vehicle on to dealer scan tool......to reset the immobiliser system, and reprogram the key.

Billy :

Thank you for trusting JA and myself.......get back to me if further info is needed.....positive feedback and bonuses appreciated...

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-billy/

Billy :

PS: the 4 digit code, usually does not work on 2003 models......but if you want to try inputting......here is the correct way:

Billy :

1- hold central locking button down red immo light flashes slowly count number of 1st digit of immo code and release.
2- hold down central locking button and count 2nd digit and release
3- repeat for 3rd and 4th digits
4- when all numbers entered, ignition off and hold down central locking button immo lights remains constant, press key on/off quickly towards interior mirror. Hopefully plip will resynch.
Once immo light starts flashing -ign on/off and hold c/l button down again until red light remains constant and try again,may take a few goes.

Customer :

I have tried this method, but its not particularly clear. Do you do this with the key in and ignition on, as when i put key in with ignition on immo light flashes quickly all the time, and pressing and holding central locking button does not slow down the flashing. If i have the key in and ignition on, and hold central locking for 10 secs, i hear a little bleep, then flashing slows own and instrument panel shows a little picture of a car with and M andd dashes going from the M to the little car. Trie inputting code via indicator stalk, but nothing.

Billy :

you should have ignition off while pressing in the code.....

Billy :

and if that does not work, proceed as following:

Billy :

- ignition on...

Billy :

- hold the central locking button down (try with the button in car....the central locking button)

Billy :

- press, and look at the flashing......wait till it flashed the exact number of first digit in code.......then release, then hold again (2nd digit number count flashes).......then third and fourth...

Billy :

if that does not work....do this using the remote fob....with ignition on......so hold button and count flashes on security light....first digit......release.....second etc.....

Billy :

then after inputting the code.....turn ignition off and remove key........and then hold the central locking button....and get the remote fob and key near mirror and press one time (lock)

Billy :

then insert key in ignition, turn ignition on, and then off........and then hold the central locking button (the one in car)....until the red light comes on and stays on....then release.....insert key, turn ignition on, and try to start.

Customer :

Have tried all this, removing battery terminal for a bit again, got new battery just incase, but nothing stops that red light flashing. Have had to ring renault garage, and they said if light flashes on the key fob when pressed, it is unlikely that key will re program (not sure why?) So.....our only option is to hire a trailer (£40) to get car to renault garage, anf they will test key to see if it can be re programmed first (£50) if that doesn't work, then new key has to be ordered (£80 and around 6 days) then new key re programmed (another £50) and hopefully all will work.

Customer :

the key did start the car before micro chip was soldered back on, which is why logically it tells me it must be a fault with the key. So...the remote locking did not work cos micro switch had fallen off, but car still started, now remote locking works and car does not start! I have checked soldering and circuit board with magnifying glass, and all looks ok, but is hard to tell whether soldering the micro switch has done something to circuit board! looks like i am going to have to put cost on my card, and let my daughter use my car till new keys turns up, but is a very costly exercise. Unfortunately she does not have a spare key. If you can suggest any other option, i will try it first! thanks, Dawn

Customer :

Do you know whereabouts the chip on the circuit board is that sends the message to the immobiliser? just interested., and do you agree with my logic that the fault is in the key, not the immobiliser?

Billy :

Ok....

Billy :

The remote locking/unlocking circuit is different than the one of the immobilizer.

Billy :

The immobilizer unit should be a small black cylinder.

Billy :

The soldering might have affected it....even after some time......

Billy :

And in this case, unfortunately, the only option, is reprogramming.....and if that does not work.....a new key.....

Billy :

There is an immobilizer deactivation code....but that does not work on 2003 models (and newer...)......

Billy :

However, if you wish to try that....i can try and get you the code...but you have to get me all the writings on the fob (open it, and write all the serial numbers you see....)

Billy :