Mike, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years of vehicle repair / diagnostics
9261905

Renault Clio The ignition light stays on in my sisters 2003

The ignition light stays on in my sisters 2003 Renault Clio 12v Dynamic. The local garage says that is a common fault and nothing to worry about. I am not comfortable with that and want to make sure we wont breakdown before we go on the xmas holidays. The nearest dealer is 5 miles away.
Category: Renault
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Mike :

Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

Mike :

Is this the battery light that is on?

Customer :

No its the yellowowy orange light on the bottom right of the dash

Mike :

Ok.. can you describe it for me - the icon / outline - or do you know exactly what its for ? ( in that you sdaid at first it was the "ignition light".... )

Customer :

On my car, its the warning light indicating a malfunction in the fuel or ignition system. The renault is starts ok and is running fine

Mike :

Righ ok yes- I know the light.... its not the ignition light - its as you say, a fault light indicating that the Ecu - engine management computer, has detected a fault somewhere in the management / fuel systems...

Mike :

You are right - it should not be ignored - it needs a diagnostic machine plugging in to the cars OBD diagnostic socket under teh ash tray - to determine / read the ecu fault log - and see why the light is on.

Mike :

once that has been determined - a fix can be carried out..

Customer :

Do you recommend taking it to the renault dealer to get it checked out rather than take the advice of the local garage who syas its a common fault and not to worry about.

Mike :

I think I would use a different garage though being they said what they did !

Mike :

Sorry our posts crossed - but yes...

Mike :

Many smaller garages have the equipment to do this for you - it sounds like that garage doesnt -- it was a rather silly thing for them to say ...

Mike :

So you could shop around or just take it to Renault... though a smaller garage would run the faulrt code test at half the price of a dealer though..

Customer :

Thanks very much, I will get her to take it to the main dealer in Edinburgh

Mike :

No problem at all - Im very pleased to have been to help you . Please dont forget the Accept button for me as you log out - Thank You and you are Welcome back anytime.... All the best with it - Kind Rgds... MIKE..

Mike, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 34 years of vehicle repair / diagnostics