Mike, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years of vehicle repair / diagnostics
9261905

Megane..having problems starting..the dashboard it..steering

Customer Question

Hi, I have a renualt megane 2003 1.6 car, and i am having problems starting the car up, Everytime we try to start our car up, on the dashboard it appears to say "steering locked" but in actual the steering is not locked, and some time it appears to say "steering not locked" could you help us with this problem?
Category: Renault
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

The steering itself wont necessarily lock but the car wont start... when you get this message..

This is because its referring to the electronic steering lock mechanism -for the starting of the car more particularly - You might find the steering locks if you turn it 180 degrees - but this is not important right now really.

The problem is that the ESL unit is likely faulty - this is the electronic steering lock - and needs to be replaced..

There are two things you can do .. First, press the START button (if that type) for 5 secs at least - keep it pressed... and then retry the car starting... ( If its not the button start type, you will have to ignore this and have the car connected straight to a diagnostic machine as follows later )

If that doesn't work - press the start button 5 times...completely releasing between releases... and then, try and start the engine.

This will usually reset and overcome the problem -- but -- if it comes on again, you will have to have the car connected to a dealer or dealer level diagnostic machine to verify the fault with the ESL - and then go from there.

Again, it will usually need a new unit - but at that point they will advise you -and cost the repair for you ....

Again, common problems on these Im afraid...

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - but do ask me if you need anything more..

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid for my time, knowledge and expertise given. Thank you.

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi thanks a lot for your promt answer, just in case i was wondering if this does not work is there any other soultions or problems that could be the case apart from the ESL.....
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello again, thank you for your reply...

Im afraid not - it will be in need of a new unit... or, I do know of a company down Kent area that supplies these units either reconditioned or they wil repair / recondition yours - at a much reduced cost over new...and they give a two year warranty on them...

I will give you their contact details - they are on 0 1 6 3 4 - 6 8 7 2 2 2 ... They operate a postal service.. Give them a call if it becomes necessary..and they will talk you through things / costs etc..

I hope that all helps you further -

Best Rgds - MIKE..