Mike, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years of vehicle repair / diagnostics

Renault grand scenic 1.9dci 2005 i had egr prolem on renault

i had egr prolem on renault scenic1.9dci check emmision on dashboard.had the valve replaced and car now runs great.however fault code was removed and warning went. next time car is started it comes back on permanent.fault code po486 apparently sensor problem.does ecu need reseting?if so how.many thanks.
Category: Renault
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.

Mikdermoose :

Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

Customer :

have you got answer

Mikdermoose :

Hello... can you tell me - have you fitted a "new" Egr valve - ? and when you say ..."the code was removed"..how was that done ?

Customer :

new egr valve fitted. the garage said they reset fault code on labtop check emmisions cleared next time car was started it reappeared

Mikdermoose :

Ok.... A very common problem these days is that a tech gets a fault code on his machine - in your case .. P0486.. and essentially that relates - with yours , to the EGR valve... but - that doesn't neceserrily mean the actual valve is faulty ... In which case, fitting a new valve isn't going to cure it - and you will get the same fault code come back again. I suspect thats the case here - it certainly looks like it. What needs to be checked now is the wiring to the Egr valve - and back through to the Ecu - Very common to have problems with bad connections to the egr valve - chaffed wires in the loom / circuit - or even bad connections on that circuit at the ecu..

Mikdermoose :

The other thing that can cause this is the inlet manifold - where the Egr fits into - being very badly clogged - with black coke material - that wil affect the full operation of the Egr valve and often needs removing for a thorough clean...

Mikdermoose :

If a fault is found in the wiring - once the fault is cured, the ecu again needs resetting with diagnostic equipment - and all will be well again ( the same applies to cleaning the manifold )

Customer :

fitting anew egr valve cured original problem loss of power.however check emmisions warning failed to clear i suspect your response regarding fault in wiring could be cause .where is ecu situated so i can check wiring

Mikdermoose :

Yes that could very well be the case.. The Ecu is in the engine bay behind the battery..

Mike, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 34 years of vehicle repair / diagnostics