JohnMichaels,MS,LPC
JohnMichaels,MS,LPC, Counselor (LPC)
Experience:  25+ years helping resolve relational issues.
68372260

I am a single parent with 2 children with their own bedrooms

Customer Question

I am a single parent with 2 children with their own bedrooms age 12 and 14. However my daughter prefers to share the same bed with me but my sister thinks this is wrong. Please advise
Category: Relationship
Expert:  JohnMichaels,MS,LPC replied 3 months ago.

Hello. I tend to agree with your sister, but do have a couple questions. Which child is our daughter, the 12 or 14 year old? Are you the child's mother or father? Why do you think she wants t sleep with you?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
1 am th father
She is 12
I advise her to in her own bed but likes company and doesn't like sleeping on her own

It is definitely time she start sleeping by herself then. You need to simply draw the line, I know that is hard but absolutely necessary. You are opening yourself up to tremendous suspicion. She is hitting puberty and needs her privacy. Just explain to her that she is older now and it is time. Do not take no for an answer. I know that is pretty direct, but this is a serious matter, Does that make sense to you?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She still has her own room and sharing bed only

I understand that, but you must understand her body is changing and with that her thoughts. I honestly believe this is totally innocent, but your sister seems to be looking out for yours and your daughters best interest. It is time she learn to sleep I her own bed.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will consider it but my mom thinks she is still young and in her opinion it's fine
I'm sure your mom means well, but a child of 12 is at least approaching puberty. If she has not started her cycle yet she will soon. this is not appropriate, and as I said puts you in danger of suspicion.