Therapist Leslie
Therapist Leslie, Counselor
Experience:  Owner and Psychotherapist at Self-Employed, Private Practice
94172775

My mother and I have been arguing. She feels she is being

Customer Question

My mother and I have been arguing. She feels she is being bullied by me and I feel I have to set boundaries to not feel angry towards here. The conflict has gotten so big that she wants me to stay in an airport all day and fly back home. I am lost on what to do.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Therapist Leslie replied 1 month ago.

Good morning and thank you so much for your message. I realize it's difficult to reach out. Please know I honor your courage.

My name is ***** ***** I am a psychotherapist in the Metro Boston area.

Ohhhh sweet soul, I am so sorry. This is certainly not the Thanksgiving weekend you imagined and I absolutely understand why you are overwhelmed. It sounds like you and your mother have a very complicated relationship and you have learned to set boundaries as a way of protecting yourself from unhealthy behavior. I imagine she is not used to anyone settling boundaries with her and is feeling the way she is because of it.

It sounds like emotions are running very high and at this point, I don't think there is much you can do. One idea may be to write her a letter that you leave behind for her to read after dropping you off at the airport. Perhaps the letter says something like this....

"Mom, I love you and are very sorry we are struggling to get along. I realize that over time we each have our own ways of being in the world and this has sadly created a divide. I would love, when you are ready, to talk with you and find a better way for us to relate."

Does this feel comfortable and true to your feelings?

It sounds like things are too intense right now to have a sit-down and honestly, without knowing the history you share, it may be impossible to find a middle ground. I honor you being true to yourself and trying to protect your own sweet soul.

Please take some time--perhaps go for a walk alone or find a quiet place and think about what might be most helpful for you in all of this.

Again, I am so sorry.

Have I answered your question? Is there anything else I can do to assist you further? I want to ensure you are pleased with my service. I also gently request you provide a star rating for me. Of course, we can continue to talk after the rating is provided.

Please take good care of yourself and feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Warm regards,

Therapist Leslie

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
You are right. We had plans to visit family out of the country but now that may not happen which is disappointing. I want to go but at what cost.

I absolutely understand you wanting to visit your family in the country but first and foremost, you must consider what it is you can tolerate. Will this be healthy for you ultimately?

Good evening, I just wanted to check back in and see how you are doing? What did you decide to do?

Good morning,

Just wanted to check back in and see if there was anything else I can assist you with? I gently request you provide a star rating for my services so I may be compensated. Please know we can continue to speak after a rating is provided.

Warm regards,

Leslie