Therapist Leslie
Therapist Leslie, Counselor
Experience:  Owner and Psychotherapist at Self-Employed, Private Practice
94172775

I have been married for 31 years. it has been a wonderful

Customer Question

hi there . I have been married for 31 years. it has been a wonderful marriage. Over the last two years I have noticed changes in my husband. We are now 52 years old lost our parents became grandparents and my husband has lost his job. He now states he is not in love with me anymore. He will not give me a reason he says he doesnt know. We are living as room mates now and my heart is broken. How do I proceed
JA: The Psychologist will know what to do. Is there anything else the Psychologist should be aware of?
Customer: No no at this time
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Therapist Leslie replied 1 month ago.

Good morning and thank you so much for your message. I realize it's difficult to reach out. Please know I honor your courage.

My name is ***** ***** I am a psychotherapist in the Metro Boston area of the United States.

Ohhhhh sweet soul, my heart aches for you. Both you and your husband have been through many many changes and losses during the last couple of years and no doubt it will change a person. I do fear your husband might be depressed and as a result, feeling incredibly flat (which is, of course, one of the main traits of one who struggles with depression). I honestly don't know how a person could survive so many incredible losses and not be depressed. Have either of you sought counseling by chance?

It's so easy to blame the marriage when things are falling apart--it's a way of avoidance from the other pain the individual doesn't think he/she can face.

Can you gently suggest your husband seek professional help--framing in it in such a way that there have been many changes and losses that must feel overwhelming? Would he be open to couples counseling by chance? My personal recommendation for you is to reach out to those you love and surround yourself with them. Seek therapy and become the strongest version of yourself you can be on every level. Exercise daily. Eat well. Read. Journal. Pray/Meditate. This will help heal your heart and determine what makes sense in terms of next steps.

Have I answered your question? Is there anything else I can do to assist you further? I want to ensure you are pleased with my service. I also gently request you provide a star rating for me. Of course, we can continue to talk after the rating is provided.

Please take good care of yourself and feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Warm regards,

Therapist Leslie

Good evening,I just wanted to check in as I haven't heard from you. Have I answered your question? Is there anything else I can assist you with? I gently request you provide a star rating for me so I may be compensated. Of course, we can continue to talk after a rating is provided. Please take good care of yourself and feel free to contact me with any questions you may have. Warm regards,Leslie